Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Why would someone pay premium price for a Mercedes with 168hp?? Because for their safety sacks. MB is one of the safest car in the world, and not even C-Class nor ML-Class has been compromised.

Imagine a IS300 in the same shape as this S-Class, you think how many ppl are gonna survived the crash if there are 3 ppl in the car???

As a side note, every passanger(3 total) in this S-Class stepped out of the car on their own, no serious injury what so ever. The front doors even open/close as if they are brand new....

Andy Kuo

------------------
http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, my sole purpose is to show that everyone buys their car for their own reason. I am not bashing IS300 as it's indeed a fine automobile, which can not be denied. So, maybe it's better that we try to understand other's thoughts, and put ourselves into their shoes rather than bashing each other to death???

Andy Kuo

------------------

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mercedes doesn't have a monopoly on safety. There are many other cars that are as safe or safer. The Toyota Sienna got the best score ever recorded on the federal government's head-on crash test. According to EuroNCAP (the european equivalent of the NHTSA), the Saab 9-5 was the "safest car that EuroNCAP has ever tested". So it beat out any Benz.

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the way, what kind of car was Princess Diana and Dodhi Faheed in when they died? That's right, an S-Class.

[This message has been edited by david rhee (edited August 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Is this what you mean by bashing? BTW, I didn't say the MB is crap; those are your words. For the record, Mercedes is my favorite overall carmarker in the world. Let's see if we can cool it on the embellishment front, okay?

"ralittle, I think it will be an incredibly competent car with next to uncompromised build quality. On that, we agree. However, just like I am not willing to throw in the towel for luxury I will not give up for mere build quality, solidity and elegance. Ah, but that is why we are so fortunate to have all of these choices."

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When your car hit a concrete pole at 198km/h, you ain't gonna survive the crash anyway...no matter what car you drive....

Head-On crash as Full head-on or off-set?? that makes a big difference.... Besides, what's that speed for head-on crash again?? 45mph?? Standard Off-Set crash done in MB factory is 55mph....

Also, it should be taken into consideration that European/Asian standard is LOWER then US/Canadian Standard.....

Try crash that same SAAB in US/Canada.....

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

·
Registered
15 Posts
EuroNCAP does offset frontal crashes, side-impact crashes, and rear-end crashes on all cars sold in Europe. I don't know what speed they do it at. However, Saab 9-5 beat out Benz (and everyone else) in all the tests.

I'm not trying to say that Benzes aren't safe. I just don't like it when people claim that Mercedes is the end-all, be-all when it comes to safety.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course, not, bro. I agree. As car technology advances, I am sure even Firefly will be as safe as a C-Class in the near future.

Besides, I didn't claim that Mercedes is the end of all....I stated it's ONE of the safest cars in the world....

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think anyone sees the MB as crap...

Here how I see the following cars:

MB = ultimate status quo car that says you've made it. Money Money Money.

BMW / A4 = yuppies...plain and simple

IS300 = Former Civic tuner wanting to step up but don't want to be asscociated with the likes of the first two demo-graphics

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i disagree...i think mercedes and bmw are both big moneymoneymoney images...but mercedes is luxury/old age whereas bmw is performance

·
Registered
49 Posts
mrclan,
Yes I kinda agree with you as well...

So image wise the following cars portray:

MB= older wealthy man...money money money

BMW= well to do guy more into performance...money money money

IS300= I used to hop up Civics now I'm moving on up.

Oldsmobile...still daddy's/grandpa's car!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by AKRY:
Head-On crash as Full head-on or off-set?? that makes a big difference.... Besides, what's that speed for head-on crash again?? 45mph?? Standard Off-Set crash done in MB factory is 55mph....

You cannot say that a car is safer just because it may be structually intact at a higher crash speed.

A car that protects its occupants well at high speed may actually cause more harm to its occupants at a low speed.

Let's say you are designing a vehicle to "pass" a 50mph crash test. You would want to make your vehicle frame/body very rigid, wouldn't you think? However, you take this rigid frame and crash it at, say, 30mph. Because of its high rigidity, the crash forces are transmitted into the cabin (to the passengers) and not absorbed by the crumple zone.

Contrarily, you design a car to be "safe" for a 30mph crash. Therefore, you want the crumple zone to absorb most of the crash forces. But this "weaker" structure will be more dangerous to occupants in a higher-speed crash.

That's the compromise engineers have to face today. And each country/market has different crash standards, so even if your vehicle passes, say, Euro stds, it may not necessarily pass other markets' tests.

Bottom line: numbers don't tell the whole story.

BTW, Toyota/Lexus has been designing their vehicles to meet all the world's safety standards. Toyota calls it "GOA", the Global Outstanding Assessment design, and all their new vehicles meet this requirement.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yeah, that's not to say that mercedes doesn't have performance but from what i've seen bmw is a much better "deal for the money" if compared to mercedes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Andy, I apologize if I came across as being contentious. Sorry.

I think Mrclam and Bubba are exactly right about the images conveyed by BMW and Mercedes. By the way guys, what is your image of the people who drive these cars:

1. Ford F-350 Dualie
2. Corvette
3. Land Rover Discovery
4. New Beetle

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Originally posted by david rhee:
Hey Andy, I apologize if I came across as being contentious. Sorry.

I think Mrclam and Bubba are exactly right about the images conveyed by BMW and Mercedes. By the way guys, what is your image of the people who drive these cars:

1. Ford F-350 Dualie</b>
someone who goes offroad or likes really big trucks<b>

2. Corvette
</b>sports car image....older driver i would think who appreciates domestic engineering in this case.<b>

3. Land Rover Discovery
</b>I hate SUVs....but i see people who buy these as usually well off people who're going with the general SUV trend<b>

4. New Beetle
female teens......thats' waht i think...

·
Registered
571 Posts
1. Ford F-350 Dualie - farmer/consturction worker that needs this car for his work or a redneck that is wasting too much fuel and taking up too much road

2. Corvette - all-american rich boy that still thinks this car is king of the road. (sorry, a TT supra or skyline GTR is just as fast)

3. Land Rover Discovery - rich person buying a car for status - I'd at least get a BMW x5 or LX470

4. New Beetle - dunno...I gues they're crazy and nuts about the look, otherwise, I can't justify paying that much for a small car like that.

5.Lexus IS300 - best looking people in the world making darn good decisions!

·
Registered
49 Posts
1. Ford F-350 Dualie - Country boy who wants to haul large stacks of cow dung. Has a fixed up monster 10 second American muscle car in his barn.
2. Corvette - old school all American rich boy who isn't into the import scene.
3. Land Rover Discovery - yuppie mommy looking for a classy ride to soccer practice.
4. New Beetle - wierdo who wants to put flowers in his/her steering wheel flower holder (comes stock with the VW). Originally a neon buyer....why? because both cars are cute!

·
Registered
46 Posts
In response to David Rhee, the reason Princess Di et al, died in the accident wasn't because of the car. It was because they weren't smart enough to be strapped in. The guy in the most dangerous seat in the car, front passenger, is still alive because he was belted.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Originally posted by david rhee:
By the way, what kind of car was Princess Diana and Dodhi Faheed in when they died? That's right, an S-Class.

[This message has been edited by david rhee (edited August 21, 2000).]
Too bad they weren't wearing seat belts! If they did, they would have survived, just like their body guard.

------------------
Official member of the ClubSi.com So. Cal Fuddrucker and Boba Crews. Westside Represent!
  • 1999 EBP Honda Civic Si
  • AEM CAI
  • DC Ceramic 4-1
  • Greddy EVO Exhaust
  • Eibach Pro-Kits
  • Sprint Camber Kit
  • Razo Carbon Fiber Pedals
  • KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks

[This message has been edited by atomicbombpinoy (edited August 21, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts