Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. Well my car is stored for the winter, and the car is on jack stands and I turned the car on and wanted to run the car through all the gears.

While doing this I noticed that at times the rear wheels did not spin equally. I have an 01 auto, I turned off traction control and I put it into drive, I then got out of the car and I noticed a sort of grinding sound (could be the brakes since the car hasn't been on the road for some time) I then noticed that one of the wheels were spinning slower than the other. At times one wheel would even stop spinning altogether.

Keep in mind the car was just put into drive and the accelerator wasn't being depressed. When I did push on the gas pedal, both wheels would move together seemingly at the same speed.

Now my question for you guys who have run the car on jacks, is this normal behavior? Or is something seriously wrong??

I have LSD by the way.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Since you don't have LSD, it's just the differential. One wheel may have just a little more resistance than the other so at idle it turns slower. Don't do this, but if you blocked one wheel, either side the other one would turn. Once you press on the gas, engine power overtakes that slight resistance and you don't see it. I don't think it's a problem.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply bartkat...but I apparently do have LSD. So what else could this mean?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Thanks for the reply bartkat...but I apparently do have LSD. So what else could this mean?
i assume you have verified you have lsd by the code in your door jam.

i did the same to mine with jackstands and both my wheels spin....but i know for a fact i have LSD

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I don't think the LSD would play much role at idle speed, with little resistance. As Bartkat said, it's probably just normal diff behavior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts