Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

One coat of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (IHG) immediately followed by a single application of 3M Perfect-It Show Car Carnuba wax. The IHG is quite greasy unless you plan to buff it out for an eternity, but the wax takes care of that.

Cost: $10 per bottle. Available at Pep Boys
Application Time: 2 hours

Additional pictures are available here.

BTW, this is after 6 months of ownership and 12,000 miles.

I know this is extremely off-topic, but I just wanted to share my experiences with these products for those trying to make a car care decision.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice car! Nice camera work.
I wouldn't use the IHG on a new car though..it's for making the finish really shiny, not protection.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Seele:
Nice car! Nice camera work.
I wouldn't use the IHG on a new car though..it's for making the finish really shiny, not protection.
Thanks! Yes, I agree that the IHG is for shine more so than protection seeing as how it contains no waxes or silicones. I use it in preparing the finish, a primer if you will, to aid in the adhesion of the wax. There is quite a bit of grime and film that can build up over a short six months, and the IHG makes short work of removing it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
that stuff looks like it works great.. the photos are great too.. I thought they were out of the Acura brochure.. nice work..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by oh-dawg:
that stuff looks like it works great.. the photos are great too.. I thought they were out of the Acura brochure.. nice work..

hehe. that would be funny if the cars in the brochure actually had reflections of garden tools on them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
droideka,
Those pictures are superb! Are you a prof photographer? Can you tell me the setup you used to get those photos (lighting, camera, etc.). I am a wannabe photographer and am interested in how you achieved such stunning results.

Sorry for the off-topicness of this, but when I get my car I would like to take pictures like these

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by hurricane:
droideka,
Those pictures are superb! Are you a prof photographer? Can you tell me the setup you used to get those photos (lighting, camera, etc.). I am a wannabe photographer and am interested in how you achieved such stunning results.

Sorry for the off-topicness of this, but when I get my car I would like to take pictures like these
Thanks for the compliments! No, I'm not a pro, but have been shooting for about 12 years now. I like to consider myself and "advanced amateur." You'll laugh your ass off when you hear that I just set these up in my garage, bouncing a spot light right off of the ceiling. The lighting is key. Indirect, soft light gives pictures a much more professional appearance than harsh, direct light such as a flash.

The camera is a Nikon Coolpix 990, IMO the best digital camera you can buy in the $1K range. You want any better and you'll have to go to the pro cams at around $5K.

Here's a few more pics shot with this brilliant camera: Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts