Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I working on my motor and this is the first, I thought I would open a thread for some Q&A regarding bottom end work for some those who might be interested in doing the same. There haven't been much talk about it, but I am starting to notice more built bottom end in the IS community over a GTE block swap.

For those who have a built bottom end can you list out what was done;
1) Piston Brand
2) Piston Size
3) Ring Type (i.e cast, chromoloy, etc). Please specify which brand also
4) Prefit rings or file fit
5) Connecting Rod brand.
5) Most importantly what was done machine wise besides the usually hone and bore. For example was it power honed....

How many members are having their internal assembly balanced (harmonic, flywheel, crank, pistons, rings, rods, etc.).

Knifeedge crank?

Are you experiencing any problems with the engine? Blowby? Noise?

Anything that you would have done differently.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me be the first

1) Probe Industries 2618-t6 forged
2) 86.5mm (20 over) pistons:
3) Mahle Chromoloy 1.2mm, 1.2mm, 2.8mm Rings
4) File Fitted Rings
5) Scat Forged Steel Rods
6) Block bored out 20 over with a power hone. Entire internal assembly balanced. Crankshaft cleaned and micropolished. I am still researching on knifeedged cranks, anyone that have any info and cons in such work please inform me and others in this thread.

I haven't run the motor yet so don't know what it will do.

I choose file-fitted rings for the specific reason of preventing oil blowby. I have notice and see many guys go with prefitted rings just for ease of installation. My machinist recommended pre-fit rings because the ring gap would be more accurate to specs then a prefit would be, which in turn would lessen oil blowby. He said it was a pain but guess what he got paid for his patience lol.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under $400, I believe it was like $350 drop shipped from Probe directly. I purchased it from CNC Motorsports out of South Dakota, great folks to deal with. I made payment on a Saturday and got the pistons the next Friday.

Contact Jessica @ CNC Motorsports
TEL:

Give them the Probe Industries MFG Part # 14489-.50
The only downfall is that CNC can't get the rings, contact me if you do want the rings.

CNC is the cheapest place I have found them for, everyone else wants 500-600 USD. When I saw the price I didn't believe it either but it didn't stop me from pressing buy now, lol.

CNC-Motorsports.com is your resource for High Quality, Hi-Performance auto parts from industry names you trust. Probe SRS 10.50:1 Inverted Dome, Toyota 2JZGTE 3.0L 93-98 Supra Turbo (3.405 bore) 3.386 Stroke, For 5.590" rods

·
Registered
23 Posts
DARN IT, I got it for $404 directly from Probe, thanx for the information thou, can you tell me where you get ur SCAT rod as well? . thanx

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I get all my internals parts mainly from CNC. SCAT rods were under $300. The rings were purchased via a local part store. You can get them from Probe but they are Nitrated Steel, I opt for a Plasma Moly Rings. I had to go through a lot of heaches and a lot of phone calls to find the specifications for the ring grooves since Probe didn't have them on hand or listed on their spec sheet online.

Top Compression Rings 1.2mm
Second Compression Ring 1.2mm
Oil Rings 2.8mm
All of thise for a 86.5mm (3.405") piston.

You can pretty much get those rings whereever rings are sold with these specs.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
1) CP
2) 86.5mm diameter
3) chromolly
4) file to fit
5) eagle h-beam with 3/8 ARP rod bolt
5) not really sure. i let a guy build my engine that is WAY smarter than me about this sort of stuff :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
lets bump this up!! i know there more than 2 ppl that did a motor build

·
Hello World
3,733 Posts
The one that I am planning to purchase has a built GE bottom end w/ forged internals. I'll get back on this thread as soon as I ask the owner some details.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
1) CP pistons
2) 87mm
3) Wiesco rings
4) File fit
5) OEM TT rods
5) Decked, balanced... All the works
ACL Race series bearings

PS. I did a comp. test on 3 cylinders...

#1 = 185 #3 = 180 #6 = 175

1 - 12 of 12 Posts