Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
My summer class got canceled today so I was able to paint the dashboard today instead of waiting for the weekend.

Looks good to me, you went the same product route as i did and look to have gotten pretty much the same result! I gave mine a couple of good hosing down with Meguires Natural Shine Meguiar's - NATURAL SHINE PROTECTANT and it still looks mint months later, the dust and dirt wipes off real easy.:wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
honestly... matching the OEM finish will be very difficult to pull off. Like I stated before, just make sure you spray the entire dash and any other loose parts/pieces so it all matches. I would do your odometer bezel, your glove box, and your shifter. The end results will be better than the gunk look you have now anyways.
Well, I'm replacing the original dash with a new dash and box console so that's not an option.

Bought some scotch 1080 cf to wrap the airbag cover. Hopefully it turns out ok.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm going to have my dash done at a shop soon, I'll post pics when its done. I hope dearly that the dash won't look cheap without the soft-touch material.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my dash isn't horrendous like some of the photos I've seen, however, it is banged up. Any recommendations on polishes that can clean it up with out making it more sticky or making it worse than it already is? I remember a few years ago using Armor All Original Protectant on it with a "no lint" rag and it left it rather sticky and lint all over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently put a '01 IS 200 dash in my '02 IS 300 .

Havent grabbed the glove box , airbag or under dash plastics yet

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Nice! Looks like you used the same paint as I did and got the same results :approve:

I don't know about you guys but was there a strange odor after a few days in the sun? I think the paint was still curing so I put a few sheets of bounce in my car for about a week until the smell was gone.
Just picked up a can of the spray paint
Question for the original poster. Did you use flat black or gloss black?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Awesome! That's what I picked up
I won't be re spraying the entire dashboard
Just the airbag cover so I hope it's close

Also thought about using plastidip as its got a soft finish like the oem soft touch material
Thoughts?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm not a fan of plastidip, I've never used it on my cars but I have seen it in person.

It just feels rubbery and after a few years it gets really hard and brittle. I'm sure it'll look great on the dash for about a year, but after that the sun would have baked it and it will end up looking terrible.

I'll just say, there's a reason most people only temporary dip their cars and always end up peeling it off less than a year later.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess this is the next thing I'm doing. getting sick of looking at my dash and seeing all the scratched up goo. Some of these look fantastic! you guys inspired me lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
I guess this is the next thing I'm doing. getting sick of looking at my dash and seeing all the scratched up goo. Some of these look fantastic! you guys inspired me lol
If you are mechanically minded its not as hard as you might think to remove and reinstall, i have done it on 2 of my cars now and quite happy with the result.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fully agreed..not to mention our dash's are very simplistic to get out compared to most cars out there....not much to it and I'm only mildly mechanically inclined and I had zero issues

If you are mechanically minded its not as hard as you might think to remove and reinstall, i have done it on 2 of my cars now and quite happy with the result.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fully agreed..not to mention our dash's are very simplistic to get out compared to most cars out there....not much to it and I'm only mildly mechanically inclined and I had zero issues
When did you do it? Did it smell like paint inside after? Any peeling?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Like all painting its all about the prep, as long as you spend the time getting the old rubber gung out of the corners and crevises the paint or dye will stick fine. I never saw any peeling after about a year and a half on my previous Gita, and non so far on this one. I looked at it again this morning (needs a dust/clean again lol ) and it still looks mint to me ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did it all when I pulled it, airbag cover center console, cluster trim etc so it all matches...has held up perfect for a couple years in the Texas sun

·
Registered
72 Posts
What I did was use a BUNCH of rags and some TuffStuff and went to town on the goo on the dash. It turned out AMAZING!!!! I saw a video on Youtube, so I do not take credit for it. I didn't take the dash out or anything just scrubbed like a mad man till it was gone. Took a few hours but was worth it. Mine is an 02 so the dash is a dark grey underneath and I like the new color that it gave me. I will post before and after pictures when I bother to take a picture of the new clean dash.

This is what it looked like when I bought the car:

AFTER! :

Did you use the tuffstuff on the top of the dash area ( air bag and surrounding area) or only the trims?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 40 Posts