Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone has picked up this book? I just got it over the weekend and started reading it last night. I put in about 100 pages and couldn't put the damn thing down! I'm not a huge fan of Crichton because I've only read The Lost World, but this book is really good. Here's a quick synopsis of it:

In the Nevada desert, an experiment has gone horribly wrong. A cloud of nanoparticles -- micro-robots -- has escaped from the laboratory. This cloud is self-sustaining and self-reproducing. It is intelligent and learns from experience. For all practical purposes, it is alive. It has been programmed as a predator. It is evolving swiftly, becoming more deadly with each passing hour. Every attempt to destroy it has failed. And we are the prey.
Of course, the book doesn't start off with this right away. I'm 100 pages in and haven't gotten to the funky stuff, yet, but he really gets you into the characters and you want to know what happens next. Very well-written story, so far. It gets my recommendation.

EDIT: Before I forget, and this isn't to scare anyone, there are a lot of BIG words in this book. You have been warned. :crazy:

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
I read all of his books when I was 14. I havent read any since. Maybe I'll pick this one up for shits and giggles.

Im reading a good book now...I'll give a full review when I'm finnished.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed it's been awhile since one of these was up so I figured I'd show some restraint and post something that shows I'm not all THAT focking retarded.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
time to bump the book thread....
Bump that shit up, dogg...thats my favorite thread.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
papercliprebel said:
nanotechnology must be pop culture if crichton is writing about it. (slashdot).
Well that didn't take long, hehe. It was only a matter of time before he wrote about it. Just about all of his books are about mans cockiness with technology and having it turn around and bite 'em in the arse!

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
i read jurassic park, the sphere, rising sun, disclosure, etc. a long time ago when the first jurassic park made him really really popular. (i'm guilty of jumping on the bandwagon). lets face it, his endings are weak.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Sorry man, I think Crichton is the biggest hack novelist out there, bar none. "Timeline" was a brain-smoulderingly stupid book, and to date, one of the only novels I simply had to put down because of its raw, horrid badness.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's ok. This is me you're talkin' about. :crazy: I'm not the biggest critic of books. I just like this one and thought I'd bring it up. No biggie.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sounds like a nanotech rehash of one of his earliest works 'The Andromeda Strain', except that the things are intelligent nanorobots instead of being dumb chemicals/virii.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
TK288
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing