Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just wondering if people notice that when they shift out of 1st gear on the 5-speed (and go to neutral), sometimes it takes a while for the rpms to go back down compared to normal.

·
Registered
535 Posts

anyone know is there lightweight flywheel for IS300 yet ?

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
why,.... u got one...??

& are you sure it is lighter than the stocker...?

I wanna look into the PLP for sure too ... i will contact Mike, & see whassup with theirs...?

but if you know that will work & it is avail it is worth considering...

I wonder about the affect of a lightened flywheel on out motors... I know they serve to help smooth out power delivery & they sorta "hold" energy while spinning etc & this helps the car when starting out etc etc (vague i know.....i do need more detailed info on this stuff :oops: )

but i would be concerned about primary & secondary vibrations that the heavier flywheel might be dampening or helping to smooth out with it's Mass.....less mass might mean less effective damping & possibly a slightly rougher feeling motor.....?

I am getting spoiled by the refinement of our cars...This is easily the nicest car i've ever owned & as i've already "roughed up the edges" a bit
with the exhaust & intake mods & sways & springs etc... etc...
I am not sure if i wanna introduce less refinement unless it is a very small tradeoff for the gains possible.....

but hell....Just 7 more HP & I'm at 215 Rwhp....!

:crazy:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
JW said:
I notice it...it's due to the nature of the e-throttle, according to an old post.
I agree what he said - something to do with our drive-by-wire thang (I can't recall the post). There was a term used for the rpm's "hanging" like they do. GTE, can you help us out?

·
Registered
296 Posts
uuummm

rllis300 said:
JW said:
I notice it...it's due to the nature of the e-throttle, according to an old post.
I agree what he said - something to do with our drive-by-wire thang (I can't recall the post). There was a term used for the rpm's "hanging" like they do. GTE, can you help us out?
but i thought we were talking about manual cars...us 5-spd owners don't have an e-shift

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
my thots xactly!

is the Throttle in our cars ( both Manual & Automatic) "fly by wire"..?
meaning NO mechanical connection from gas pedal to the Throttle body
...purely electronic..

I think Not, as i've seen what i think is a throttle cable on the throttle body of the intake Mani.... but i could be wrong.....

edgy...

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great link! thanks for the info. the "hanging" rpms seem to happen when the cooling fan is on, probably when the engine is warmer...

·
Registered
535 Posts
chado said:
great link! thanks for the info. the "hanging" rpms seem to happen when the cooling fan is on, probably when the engine is warmer...
no i think not, this has been discussed before , something related to the setting of the ECU, about emission control, so the RPM has to hold for a while before it drops i think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts