Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just wondering if people notice that when they shift out of 1st gear on the 5-speed (and go to neutral), sometimes it takes a while for the rpms to go back down compared to normal.

·
Registered
535 Posts

anyone know is there lightweight flywheel for IS300 yet ?

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
why,.... u got one...??

& are you sure it is lighter than the stocker...?

I wanna look into the PLP for sure too ... i will contact Mike, & see whassup with theirs...?

but if you know that will work & it is avail it is worth considering...

I wonder about the affect of a lightened flywheel on out motors... I know they serve to help smooth out power delivery & they sorta "hold" energy while spinning etc & this helps the car when starting out etc etc (vague i know.....i do need more detailed info on this stuff :oops: )

but i would be concerned about primary & secondary vibrations that the heavier flywheel might be dampening or helping to smooth out with it's Mass.....less mass might mean less effective damping & possibly a slightly rougher feeling motor.....?

I am getting spoiled by the refinement of our cars...This is easily the nicest car i've ever owned & as i've already "roughed up the edges" a bit
with the exhaust & intake mods & sways & springs etc... etc...
I am not sure if i wanna introduce less refinement unless it is a very small tradeoff for the gains possible.....

but hell....Just 7 more HP & I'm at 215 Rwhp....!

:crazy:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
JW said:
I notice it...it's due to the nature of the e-throttle, according to an old post.
I agree what he said - something to do with our drive-by-wire thang (I can't recall the post). There was a term used for the rpm's "hanging" like they do. GTE, can you help us out?

·
Registered
296 Posts
uuummm

rllis300 said:
JW said:
I notice it...it's due to the nature of the e-throttle, according to an old post.
I agree what he said - something to do with our drive-by-wire thang (I can't recall the post). There was a term used for the rpm's "hanging" like they do. GTE, can you help us out?
but i thought we were talking about manual cars...us 5-spd owners don't have an e-shift

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
my thots xactly!

is the Throttle in our cars ( both Manual & Automatic) "fly by wire"..?
meaning NO mechanical connection from gas pedal to the Throttle body
...purely electronic..

I think Not, as i've seen what i think is a throttle cable on the throttle body of the intake Mani.... but i could be wrong.....

edgy...

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great link! thanks for the info. the "hanging" rpms seem to happen when the cooling fan is on, probably when the engine is warmer...

·
Registered
535 Posts
chado said:
great link! thanks for the info. the "hanging" rpms seem to happen when the cooling fan is on, probably when the engine is warmer...
no i think not, this has been discussed before , something related to the setting of the ECU, about emission control, so the RPM has to hold for a while before it drops i think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
calcal
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing