Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just kidding.
I planned on buying an IS by December (hopefully the 5spd will be out by then), and I couldn't wait.

But, after just buying a suweet house, I had to dip into my savings for down payment for the IS and not to mention sheeling out 7 k for home appliances...now i am going to have to wait for about 8-12 months before I get one. It's killing me cos I can't wait.

Much love to you is300 owners, buy you guys suck!!!!



I guess I should be happy being a homeowner at my age...it still sucks though, there should be an IS in my garage!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
You're smart to wait a year before buying the IS. By then, the 5-speed will be out, and initial demand will have subsided so you'll probably get a better deal.

Originally posted by vvtipwr:
just kidding.
I planned on buying an IS by December (hopefully the 5spd will be out by then), and I couldn't wait.

But, after just buying a suweet house, I had to dip into my savings for down payment for the IS and not to mention sheeling out 7 k for home appliances...now i am going to have to wait for about 8-12 months before I get one. It's killing me cos I can't wait.

Much love to you is300 owners, buy you guys suck!!!!



I guess I should be happy being a homeowner at my age...it still sucks though, there should be an IS in my garage!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know it's a smarter move to wait...but everytime I see one, it kills me.

[TEG REMOVED A COMMENT WHICH WAS JUST A BIT TOO RISQUE FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION.]


[This message has been edited by TEG (edited September 28, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Ironically, I was going to post this same topic today. I have an investment property that is eating up my money instead of making money. I should have it corrected soon, but this means I can't have the car untill after Christmas (Christmas bills
). Oh well, at least this will give me time to scout out SoCal for a best deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Wht would anyone want a Standard? Especially if you are gooing to Strap On a SC ike I am? The Automatic (Especially with the E-Shift) will be faster... No?

My 2 Cents....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually, you lose power with the Automatic.

I've always preferred the 5speed as it gives me more connection with my car, not to mention it's faster than the AT.

I do understand for those of you in heavy traffic, an AT is pratical..but at the expense of some performance loss.

I'd rather gain in performance and lose in praticality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
b/c of some overly sensitive people in this forum...i am not bashing your ATs.

I'd buy one right now b/c it is easier and more comfortable to drive, but I'm hooked on getting my car as fast as it can be and that's my #1 priority and that's why I'm waiting for the 5spd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Please don't perceive this as 'AT bashing'. I own an IS and have driven manual trans cars for longer than I care to remember. If going fast is your sole criteria, the auto is not a huge influence there. The auto in this car shifts quite quickly once moving (although I am not thrilled with the rolling start performance) and except for the obvious power loss AT vs manual, there shouldn't be too much difference from the drivers seat with respect to seat of the pants feel - yes I recognize that the numbers will show a difference but short of an A - B comparison it wont feel too different.

If you are after quick instead of fast, wait for the manual. My three main gripes with the auto are 1) I can't select 1st gear, 2) even though I have asked for a particular gear, there is no guarantee that is the one I'm going to get and 3) I haven't figured out how to rev match on a downshift to keep the car balanced through the shift. I personally find #3 the most disturbing and welcome input from anyone who has mastered this art. To be quick around a track (or DESERTED twisty mountain road) you will inevitably find yourself on the line between the car holding it's line and coming loose - downshift with the auto with the car in that condition and you WILL upset the balance and find yourself on the wrong side of that fine line.

Wouldn't it be cool if the trans controller recognized some input (maybe WOT or maybe left versus right hand downshift button) and performed the rev match as it downshifted. I see the hair on the necks of the lawyers out there standing up from here.

Anyway - I don't see any way to implement it without putting inattentive drivers at serious risk so I'm pretty sure it won't happen. Meanwhile I will continue to try the old fashioned way until I can't handle it any more (which will probably be the first time I drive the manual IS).

Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Originally posted by vvtipwr:


But, after just buying a suweet house, I had to dip into my savings for down payment for the IS and not to mention sheeling out 7 k for home appliances...


I guess I should be happy being a homeowner at my age...it still sucks though, there should be an IS in my garage!!
Congratulations on your purchase neighbor...hope you enjoy your place
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
"My three main gripes with the auto are 1) I can't select 1st gear....."

Now why can't you???? See the shifter on the center console???? Just move the shifter to 'L' position, then you're in 1st
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx purple wombat....you from knoxville Too?

What color IS300 you drive?

I was a green one on the freeway in loudon the other day..young guy driving...this you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Originally posted by DJson:
Ironically, I was going to post this same topic today. I have an investment property that is eating up my money instead of making money. I should have it corrected soon, but this means I can't have the car untill after Christmas (Christmas bills
). Oh well, at least this will give me time to scout out SoCal for a best deal.
Would this "investment property" be Apple Computer stocks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Originally posted by vvtipwr:
thanx purple wombat....you from knoxville Too?

What color IS300 you drive?

I was a green one on the freeway in loudon the other day..young guy driving...this you?
Yep...i live in knoxville....i dont drive an IS300....but it is one of the cars on my list that i may get...if i can just make up my mind i'll be happy...

the reason i called you neighbor is that i think we are actually neighbors

later

320
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Originally posted by viggen:
Would this "investment property" be Apple Computer stocks?
No, actually it's a real estate property. Some unforseen events have happened to a rental of mine. I may have to move into it and fix it up and sell in order to come out of the red. As a rule you should never move into your investment. If all goes well I should recoupe by Dec and have enough to put down for the IS300.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top