Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help choosing components. I am anxious to get started on building my system. I assume I will eliminate the use of rear speakers? I have always had pretty good off-the-shelf systems but this time around I'd like to do it the right way and put together a competition worthy system. (I don't plan to compete, but you catch my drift)

I will be using the factory Nav/head unit.
This what I have assembled so far:
JL 300/4
JL 500/1
Polk SR124

The million $$$ question is what other pieces do I need to stage the front properly. Should I go with a 2 or three way setup? Do I need a JL Cleen Sweep or will an EQ do all the work needed.

All advice is welcome.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
clean sweep will help with the oem integration. most oem systems have an EQ'd signal and the frequency response is never completely flat. cleansweep helps to flatten the response.

as for 2-way or 3-way...it's really up to how picky you are about your sound. 2-way works perfectly well for almost all. the usual crossover point for 2-way is around 2kHz...which can leave a gap in the music. also, normal midbass doesn't play very well up there...it usually craps out a lil below 1kHz. 3-way will you give you smoother sound between 200Hz and around 3kHz. this is where the "meat" of the music is.

so there is no right or wrong answer. it's always preference. i say get a 2-way for now...play around with it and see how it sounds. if you feel like it's missing something then add in a 4" mid and adjust your crossover frequencies accordingly. you may find a 2-way is all you need.

check this install out. ICIXSound.COM Forums - Install Log of my most involved install in a long time - Please DONT reply to this :) the used an audiocontrol device much like the clean sweep. isntalled with a 2-way in the front.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Flapper is right, a clean sweep would probably be just fine for you. I would stay with a 2way front stage for sure.

I've never heard that sub before so I can't say either way on it. Polk makes decent equipment though. For that kind of money you can get a VERY nice sub. The specs on it at 700rms though and it would perform better with a little more than that 500/1.

A suggestion, if I may, for the sub stage would be a new 12" SSA Icon with a Sundown 1000D running it. If you buy them as a package it's $499 and it will kick the crap out of the Polk and the JL500/1....and it will be cheaper :)
--SoundSolutionsAudio.com Online Store-- - 12" ICON & SAE-1000D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Audio

Thanks guys. The 12" SSA Icon with a Sundown 1000D is a great suggestion but I already have the 500/1 and the Polk sub.
My last couple of questions:
What speakers should I look at for 2 way?
Do I got active....if so what crossover should I get?

I know a lot of it is preference, if you could provide me with a couple of different options that would be great.

Thanks again.

FYI: The Polk SR124 won the innovations award @ CES this year.
YouTube - Polk Audio at CES with the SR line-up

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
If you are going active you don't need a crossover; that's the idea. You could go active if you wanted to but it will take a lot of time to tune. If you can do it yourself and you really care then sweet, do it. But it's not just an install and go type of thing. I would suggest just getting a nice set of components and bridge the channels from the JL 300/4 to run each set of speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts