Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me how the car handles, and what type of exceleration and braking you get from it. Compare to other cars you have driven. I'm wondering because i've only sat in a right hand-drive IS and started the engine, no test drive yet.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have not driven an IS300, but based on
the reviews that I have read, I would
surmise this:

1> It accelerates just a tad better than a BMW 328i automatic.
0-60 in around 7 seconds. 1/4 mile in around 15.3
2> It feels alot like a BMW 3 series when driven.
3> The steering is a little bit on the light side.
4> The suspension is pretty sporty - like with the optional sport package on the BMW.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, coming from personal experience, ( i didnt drive it, but was driven in it) it is extremely smooth, quite riding car. The engine makes that great whine noise. The guy was just doing normal driving, the accleration seemed fine, i was extremely impressed with the e-shift though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have never driven the IS300, but I have had the Altezza since last October. I know its not the same car but here are the impressions I have until now. I hope it will be as some reference.

1) 2L 4CYL VVT-Li has enough torque at low end though some say they like to have more.
2) VVT-Li kicks in after 4800rpm and the power keeps building right up to the red line. Very satisfactory.
3) Steering maybe light but is very stable and responds quickly.
4) Suspension is on the stiff side for a Toyota/Lexus.
5)Roll during corners are well balanced and helps get traction.
5) Little unpleasant movement over bumps during high speed cornering.
6) Extremely high potential in terms of handling and road holding. With performance tires, power throttle must be done at very high speeds or by quick weight transfer. Though controllability is high.
7) No understeer. It will probably get better after I change the suspension.
8) Currently attempting parking brake spin turns at 1st and 2nd gear. Very responsive.

Overall, its the best middle class handling machine by Toyota.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I thought the Altezza doesn't have VVTL-i; doesn't it have Dual VVT-i (as in both intake and exhaust valves), but not with variable lift?

I have a Best Motoring Video that showcases the Toyota Altezza and compares them to an Alfa Romeo 156 2.5, BMW 323i, Honda Accord SiR-T, four door Honda Integra Type-R, and, in some tests, a Nissan Skyline 2.5GT-T. If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy (literally a copy), feel free to contact me.

Also in the video are a couple races between a Civic Type-R and a Nissan Pulsar Serie-something.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, the sport sedan tests include 1/4 mile, emergency lane change, an autocross-type of test, and an actual race.

·
Registered
398 Posts
As I've said in older threads (its so far back don't bother checking the archives) the terms Dual-VVTi and VVT-Li are basically the same thing. Variable Valve timing for both intake and exhaust valves. Dual-VVTi is used for the Altezza, and VVTL-i for the Celica. I couldn't get to know why they have two different names though. Possibly some simplification done on the VVT-Li and Toyota wanted to distinguish the two.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
It was my understanding that VVT-i is *only* continuously variable valve timing, whereas VVTL-i is continuously variable valve timing plus a two-stage variable lift mechanism. These seem to be two different things, although VVTL-i's operation would suggest that it was derived from VVT-i.

As far as I know, the Altezza is the only car in the Toyota lineup that uses a Dual VVT-i setup (all others have variable valve timing on the intake valve) and the Celica is the only car (so far) that implements VVTL-i.

Here's a link that describes VVT & VVTL-i as well as Honda's VTEC:
http://www.onthenet.com.au/~billzila/vvtvtec.htm

[This message has been edited by JW (edited May 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for the info. I asked the guy I got the info. from again and he has told me that the two systems are too hard to explain, and for a layman like me, its just easier to tell them that they are basically the same. Well, gee, I won't be asking him any questions anymore.

Well, I think this may have just proven the fact that I'm not an engineer.

OK, can somebody tell me the difference between the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight's Hybrid System? (Just kiddin)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hee, I know you're kidding, but in fact there is a simple way of explaining the two. In the Honda the gasoline engine always propells the car and the electric motor only assists when needed. In the Toyota it can be electric only, gasoline only, or a combination of both.

Regarding variable valve timing/lift mechanisms, here's a summary of the most talked about ones.

- continuously variable valve timing
VVT-i, VarioCam (Porsche), VANOS (BMW)

- the above PLUS 2-stage valve lift
VVTL-i, VarioCam Plus, VTEC-i

- 2-stage valve lift only
VTEC

"Dual" or "Double" simply means the mechanism works on both the intake & exhaust valves. e.g. DOHC VTEC, Double VANOS, Dual VVT-i

As you can see, at the moment Toyata actually is out"VTEC"ing Honda, until Honda comes out w/ the VTEC-i which is similar to VVTL-i.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts