Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if I should be worried with an '01 with 65k miles?

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
It is ususally recommended to replace t-belt at 90,000 mile service. So whoever is servicing your car can check the condition of the t-belt and advise you if it needs replacement.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I changed mine at 100K The outside of the belt looked new, but when I flexed it inside out..there where cracks between the teeth..so don't go to far past 100K

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I changed mine at 85k just to keep safe, but usually you want to check the belt for cracks and tension. After 5 years tho, i would go ahead and change it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Changed mine at about 110k... Didn't really realize at the time that I could have done it myself so I never actually saw the belt.. Unless you have one of the cam gears thats known to slip and tear belts then I would think you have at least 25k left on it.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
elusiveis has about 110k i believe. and the last 60+ has been while turbo'd

and he is still going strong daily!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Same here...89k and still one first belt. As soon as it gets warmer here in mn...I'll be doing the 90k service.

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Timing belt isn't one of those things I'd play around with. I'd change it when Lexus recommends you change it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I just bought another IS300, this one with 102K and it had the original belt (had, I replaced it right away)-the water pump had begun to weep a bit. Not maintenance I would post-pone.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have an 02 with 45k miles. u think I should change it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cracks are not good in a timing belt.

And Stretch is even worse. That is the main reason you're supposed to change it at 90k. It has stretched to the maximum amount that Toyota is comfortable having it stretch. i.e. The cams are slightly out of time and since it is an interference engine, letting it go further could mean Valves in your pistons. Either by excessive stretch or SNAP.

Don't risk it. Change it at 90k.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I changed mine at 90, but i am overly cautious. I would NOT do it earlier. If Lexus said 90, that is definately conservative and earlier would be unecessary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I changed mine at 90, but i am overly cautious. I would NOT do it earlier. If Lexus said 90, that is definitely conservative and earlier would be unecessary.
Yep, mine has 105K and it's fine. I have spoken with a cousin who is a mechanic and he said it should be good for at least 120K. I plan to change mine around 120K-130K. I change it around 100K in other cars before and the belt always still looks pretty new... so I'm not worrying... I know if you really want to push it, it's good for 150K or more.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts