Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what has your experience been at lease end? did the dealer knock off some of the lease buyout price? the MSRP has dropped on the IS from 2001 to 2003. does this affect the dealers ability to negotiate the lease buyout price? i remember when i signed my lease in April 2001, the dealer said the buyout price is not negotiable. now my lease is coming to an end, i wonder if this is the case.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
collection said:
While on the subject do you think the dealer will hit me with extra charges, i.e. rock chips, curbed rims, faded interior?
i think all those are considered wear and tear...meaning the dealer will not charge you extra.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
i had scratches on the rear bumper and a 6in gash on the side of the car.

I was never charged for those, maybe because i was getting another car from them. :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
louiee_g said:
what has your experience been at lease end? did the dealer knock off some of the lease buyout price? the MSRP has dropped on the IS from 2001 to 2003. does this affect the dealers ability to negotiate the lease buyout price? i remember when i signed my lease in April 2001, the dealer said the buyout price is not negotiable. now my lease is coming to an end, i wonder if this is the case.
of course it is negotiable, but you might be in a bind if you are way over on mileage or have damage or excessive wear and tear. Suppose when you signed your contract, the buyout was $20,000. Obviously an '01 with 36k on it that is 3 years old isnt' going to sell for $20k. If you walk away, you pay nothing and the dealer is stuck selling the car and he knows he can't get $20k for it. If the dealer thinks he could sell it for 18k, then maybe you could talk him down to that. I know the residual on some 02's was below 16k.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XCstud said:
louiee_g said:
of course it is negotiable, but you might be in a bind if you are way over on mileage or have damage or excessive wear and tear. Suppose when you signed your contract, the buyout was $20,000. Obviously an '01 with 36k on it that is 3 years old isnt' going to sell for $20k. If you walk away, you pay nothing and the dealer is stuck selling the car and he knows he can't get $20k for it. If the dealer thinks he could sell it for 18k, then maybe you could talk him down to that. I know the residual on some 02's was below 16k.
that's the kicker...i'm way over milage. my buyout is 19.5k. i'll probably be 20k miles over ($3k). i'm hoping i can negotiate without disclosing the amount of miles on the car. i don't think that'll fly with the dealership though.

when should i start negotiating?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Actually the dealer is not stuck with it. The car belongs to the leasing company. I'll try to give more details when I have time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts