Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else experience this? Its not really fog, but my mirrors gets a "fogged up" look to it after it rains and gets dirty. You can't wipe it off with a dry napkin, it has to be a moist one to get that sh!t off. Its kinda hard to describe.....seems like the heater in the mirrors 'burns' the dirt in...

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: GMoney ]

·
11,061 Posts
Well, I haven't noticed any problem...

·
8,880 Posts
No, you're not the only one.
The rest of people pulled out the mirror heater fuse.

I seem to have a similar problem.
I don't worry about it too much.
It was far worse when there was salt on them.

·
8,880 Posts
And the mirrors get really clean after a nice wash.

That's all there's to it.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The problem you are having is mostly to do with the heated mirrors. Lexus really failed in the design of these. Their should have been either a manual on/off switch or an automatic temp(I.E. 33 degrees F) controlled switch. During the warmer months they are always on when the ignition is on and if you get dew, rain, after washing, etc they leave a major film. I'm in the process of hooking them up to a DEI temp controller so they will only come on when the temp is below 35 degrees.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! Yeah these mirrors are all screwed up...my VW had heated mirrors and didn't have this kind of problem...oh well, guess I gotta deal with it...maybe I will just pull the fuse until the winter comes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, BUT the driver rear view mirror on my IS always leave 1 or 2 mark, dot, circle (whatever you want to call it) in the middle of the mirror when it wet (rain or when I wash my car). It looks like the mirror is not tinted right or something....But everything is O.K after it dry up. Its not a big deal but just anoying when I drive it in the rain.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: TNguyenIS300 ]

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by lisnup65:
The problem you are having is mostly to do with the heated mirrors. Lexus really failed in the design of these. Their should have been either a manual on/off switch or an automatic temp(I.E. 33 degrees F) controlled switch. During the warmer months they are always on when the ignition is on and if you get dew, rain, after washing, etc they leave a major film. I'm in the process of hooking them up to a DEI temp controller so they will only come on when the temp is below 35 degrees.
Funny thing is, the original design was to have the mirrors on only when the defogger is turned on. Why they changed it, I don't know.

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by TNguyenIS300:
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, BUT the driver rear view mirror on my IS always leave 1 or 2 mark, dot, circle (whatever you want to call it) in the middle of the mirror when it wet (rain or when I wash my car). It looks like the mirror is not tinted right or something....But everything is O.K after it dry up. Its not a big deal but just anoying when I drive it in the rain.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: TNguyenIS300 ]
The mirrors have titanium-silica coating. It may be deffective. Talk to the dealer, see if it might need a replacement. Could be a scrath on the coating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts