Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k guys, as i promised i've just finished my new Fidanza 12.5lb Flywheel and Clutch Master Stage I install. but first for the review:

I LOVE it! I really only have one complaint about it after 180 miles on it. there is a slight droning noise at highway speeds under load only. im guessing its from the lightway flywheel because it doesn't do it when i free rev on the highway. other than that, NO chatter, NO other misc noises, ingagement is nice and tight, clutch pedal pressure feels exactly the same, biggest plus for me is that the engagement is at a much lower point on the clutch pedal travel. it bites at mid way, not like stock where it bites all the way near the end of its travel at the top. the rev speed is a bit of an improvement, i'd say about 60% faster than stock, and man does that thing drop quick, u gotta be quick into 2nd or it'll drop two quick past trans speed or you can always keep ur foot slightly on the gas pedal. takes a little bit of getting use to how fast the thing bites, where it bites, and how fast the rpm's fall.

as i said in my other thread about how i only had 5 hours to do the job so i was wondering if i should remove the exhaust manifold or not, i opted not to removed it (and man was it a pain). well my total install time took me exatly 5 hours and 4 minutes. took me 1 hour and 20 minutes to remove the transmission including removal of all the interior trim around the shifter. and the rest of the time was for the install. i replaced the flywheel bolts cause it came with the flywheel which i bought from ultrarev. if i had to do this on jackstands, i think i would have removed the exhaust manifold even though with that removed you'd still have a lot of muscle fudging to deal with. hardest part of the install? the actual removing and installing of the trans from the little area that it sits in, be prepared to use every word not in the dictionary. i managed with 2 screw jacks and 1 hydraulic floor jack. other than that, the installation was pretty cake. i had to lower the subframe about 2 inches to sneak the trans out btw.

i had about 1000 miles since i bought the car when i did the job. the clutch plate and flywheel was completely toast. i was able to move the springs in the flywheel with my bare hands. there were more hotspots on both plates than freckles on pippy long stockings face (see pictures). the clutch was not all torn up, but severely worn.

over all im extremely happy with the setup. when i boost it in about a year, i plan on replaceing the friction plate on the flywheel and upgrading to a clutchmaster stage III flywheel with the full segmented kevlar face. i'll let you guys know if the droning noise evently wears out. here are some pictures.

sorry for the bad quality pix, on iphone with really dirty hands

exhaust removed

driveshaft removed

transmission removed

clutch and plate removed

flywheel removed, thank god the thing was dry as a bone cuz i wasn't planning on doing a rear main also

the clutch is round, i promise, its just a weird angle

close up on flywheel (think i should have turned that? lol)

close up on clutch plate

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good info and great pics for a cell phone.

Question tho - Is your clutch a sprung disc or unsprung being that you used a lightweight flywheel.

My clutch is screaming replace me, so i'm in the market for a setup similar to this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what ultrarev told me, they said that all aluminum lightweight flywheel are solid flywheels unlike our dual mass (sprung) flywheel. that's what i have, so therefore i have a spring loaded clutch setup to go with the solid flywheel. stock = spring flywheel + solid clutch. mine = solid flywheel + sprung clutch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i forgot to mention, i also have the CCD mod

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Did you find out what was leaking in the bell housing before you reassembled?

·
Registered
6 Posts
i didn't have anything leaking. did i state that i did? must have misunderstood.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same setup, just that i have a stage 2 clutch, did u remove the cdd, device it makes a big difference. I also changed my slave cylinder too. U'll notice how 1 tank of gas last u a bit longer, and i just love the way, the speedo moves when ur on half throttle lol

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm needing to do the same thing. Where did you get your parts and about how much did it cost you? My estimate came out to be about 800-900 bucks just for the clutch, PP, and flywheel.

BUN

·
Registered
6 Posts
smoke3:
yes, i have also done the ccd. sure is nice to have the extra top end. i haven't gone through my first tank yet, hope i do get better mileage, wasn't really expecting it though, but now that you've brought it up i think ur right.

china:
i bought the CM stage I for 340 i think. and the flywheel from ultrarev for 360 shipped with flywheel bolts (saved me 100 bucks!). plus like 100 buck for misc stuff like the exhaust manifold gaskets (if you plan on taking it off), and fluids and crush washers.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i didn't have anything leaking. did i state that i did? must have misunderstood.
OK, but looking at the "clutch and plate removed" picture there was some thing that was "thrown" out onto the flywheel surface and the bell housing doesn't look too clean either. And there was definite contamination on the contact surface. But hey, it's cool with me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the clamping force claims to be 70% over stock

oh! all that stuff are heat spot marks, they are all over the place. the thing is trashed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm needing to do the same thing. Where did you get your parts and about how much did it cost you? My estimate came out to be about 800-900 bucks just for the clutch, PP, and flywheel.

BUN

thats sounds pretty steep, when i got mine, it wasnt over a grand, i got the stage 2 kit, flywheel, and ralzco shifter
I got all the parts from ultrarev next day air, and it was under a grand.

Reactions: Sexy Lexi

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what's up with all the hotspots? too much riding clutch?
i bought the car with a bad clutch. sure felt good when i first bought it though. the slippage was so much that the engagement was super duper smooth lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
good job, you got that thing done pretty quick. how would you say dropping the trans is on this car? any of those hard to reach bolts that you end up not putting back on when reinstalling (and calling it "weight reduction")? i know you got it done fast, but was there any particular kink that was giving you a hard time?

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
i bought the car with a bad clutch. sure felt good when i first bought it though. the slippage was so much that the engagement was super duper smooth lol.
I think you and I are in the same boat. I'll be doing what you did in a little while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good job, you got that thing done pretty quick. how would you say dropping the trans is on this car? any of those hard to reach bolts that you end up not putting back on when reinstalling (and calling it "weight reduction")? i know you got it done fast, but was there any particular kink that was giving you a hard time?
I actually dropped the subframe about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. i was able to access all the bolts with a 30 or 36 inch extenstion (i forget) and a 17mm and 14mm swivel socket. taking off and reinstalling was the same difficulty for me. for me since i didn't remove the exhaust manifold, the hardest part was trying to remove the trans from the engine. the body that surrounds the trans is very tight and narrow, you gotta play with it and try different twisting combinations. if i scaled this job, i think it would be quite bias since i work on cars for a living, but still as far as difficulty for me me on a scale from one to ten to do the whole job, i'd give it a 5-6 out of ten, ten being the hardest thing i've ever done.

edited: i forgot, the 17mm bolts for the trans to the engine were so f*ing tight on my car, i don't know why but my 1/2in air gun couldn't even take them off, wasn't that big of a deal since i had a mac daddy breaker bar. anyways, be prepared in the case that yours will be on as tight as mine. i reinstalled them to the manual's specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont have this car yet. I have a Legend 6spd, the 300 is what im currently looking for. i ask because the trans in the Legend was a PITA! i just wanna know what im getting myself into. you make it sound doable

1 - 19 of 19 Posts