Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals, over the last couple FlyAudio installs we have done I have compiled some pictures and instructions. There are alot of you out there who have already done this at home and can vouch for how straight forward this install can be. Please feel free to add to the instructions with hints and tricks. I will add more pictures as time goes on and we install more of these.

Confidence and basic tools are the only requirements. It helps to have someone to assist you because aligning the new FlyAudio system in the dash is difficult with only 1 set of hands. If you have any questions, please call our support hotline at 714-720-2797.

DISCLAIMER: Automax Service does not guarantee results and assumes no liability for any damage done due to the use of these instructions.

Disconnect the battery:

Remove the A/C vent above the stereo. You can use a plastic pry bar to apply pressure in the middle of the vent. This piece may put up a fight, but it is incredibly pliable and solid. Make sure to apply the most pressure in the middle (thickest part of the vent) and apply minimal pressure at other points on the vent if necessary.

The picture below is from the top down and shows where the tabs are on each side of the vent.

Pull the vent out slowly and disconnect the wires along the top/bottom of the vent. There are 2 connectors that run along the bottom of the vent that need to be removed.

Next, remove the side grey trim pieces that run the length of the shift cover. You can use a plastic pry bar to get under the base of trim piece. Lift up to release. Then pull towards the rear of the vehicle to release the tabs.

If you have a manual transmission then follow this step: Lift the trim piece surrounding the E-Brake. It has 2 clips on each side. Then pop off the shift cover as well.

Unscrew the shift knob. The shift knob has a pin inside the black locking collar that needs to be removed. This can be kind of a fight to push it out one side (without bending the pin). Once the pin is removed, take the black shift cover off.

For the automatic transmission cars, follow the instructions below.

Unscrew the shift knob and remove. Take the center console cover off by pulling up and releasing the tab. Unclip the connector from the bottom of the shift cover.

Remove the ashtray by unscrewing the 2 screws at the base of the ashtray. There is a connector you need to remove when you pull the ashtray out.

The entire A/C control unit and factory stereo are mounted in a bracket that has 4 screws that mount into the car’s center console. There are 2 screws at the top and 2 at the bottom. Un-screw those 4 screws and slowly pull the unit out. Once the unit is far enough out, unplug the 2 radio antenna cables and other connectors in the back of the unit. Once everything is disconnected, pull the entire unit out.

Below are the top 2 screws that need to be un-screwed to release the system.

Below are the bottom 2 screws that need to be unscrewed to remove the system.

Remove the screws that hold the factory radio into the metal bracket. You can discard the screws, you won't need those anymore. Remove the TPMS module at the top of the bracket. You can find new screws in the FlyAudio box. You can plug the TPMS module back into the car and tuck it off to the side. It helps to place the whole system on a cardboard box when putting the FlyAudio into the factory bracket. Clip the bottom portion of the FlyAudio system into bottom factory stereo piece. Screw the FlyAudio system into the factory bracket. Set that unit aside and we'll get back to it later.

Time to run the wiring for the GPS antenna, bluetooth microphone, and optional backup camera.

Remove all of the trim pieces along the front driver side door and rear driver door. Remove the side access panel in the front door. Remove the kick panel under the steering wheel.

Unclip the rear seatbelts and remove the backseat. Follow the factory wiring into the trunk to see where to run the wiring.

Once you do this, you can run the GPS antenna from where the headunit will end up, under the steering wheel, along the side panel with all of the other factory wiring, then rest it behind the passenger headrests in the rear window. We have found this is out of the way and gets great reception in the rear window. You can run the bluetooth microphone at the same time from where the headunit will be, under the steering wheel, and then up the Pillar. You don't have to remove the A-pillar cover, you can just tuck it under and run it up along the side. There are a couple different ways to mount it at the top of the A-pillar.

Start disassembling the trunk by removing the trunk liner. You can pop the buttons out of the liner and then you can remove the yellow trunk release. There is a trim piece separating the trunk side of the mechanism and the assembly itself, pry down to pop that cover off.

Find the connector that plugs into the driver side tail light assembly. Unplug the connector.

You are going to cut the plastic cover off of those 3 wires that go into the connector. You are going to solder the backup camera wiring into these wires. Identify the wires going into the connector as positive (yellow wire), negative (black and white), and ignore the other wire. Get the backup camera and identify the positive (red) and negative (black) wire. Solder the respective wires together. You will also solder the signal wire (provided by Automax Service, other retailers are NOT providing these currently) to the yellow (positive) wire and run that up to the front of the vehicle and connect it to the wire labeled "BACK".

Here is a picture all bundled up:

Once you do the wiring, you can run the wire for the actual camera thru the license plate light or the trunk button. We use double sided sticky tape to adhere the camera. We wait until everything is tested before we align the backup camera to make sure that it shows a straight picture on the display.

One of the last things to do is run the wiring for the USB, iPod, and RCA cables in the glovebox. You want to remove the shelf in the glovebox by popping it up and pulling to the left. Then remove the door in front of the cabin filter.

To the left of the air filter there is room to drop the wiring down and pull it thru to the main dash area.

It's tough getting your hands in the main dash area to get the wiring, but using a flashlight helps to see back in there. Here is a picture of where the wiring should come thru.

Ok, now that all of the wiring is installed, it’s time to install the head unit itself. It helps to have 2 people for this part, the last thing you want to do after taking the time to run all the wires is bang up your dash because the unit slipped out of your hands. In the box there should be a 6-10 inch cable with a clip on each end, this is an extension of the factory cable. Plug it into the vehicles harness, this will give you a little more room to install the system. Plug in all the connecters, there is only one place for each of them to go. There is a lot of wiring and not very much space behind the system. It helps to stuff some of the wiring to the left and right of the system, as far back towards the steering wheel or glovebox as possible. Moving as much as possible is crucial to getting the unit to fit just like your factory stereo. Tighten the top left, then bottom right, then top right, and then bottom left. If it does not sit flush the 1st time, you can play around with where the wiring is and it will get better. I would recommend reconnecting the battery and testing everything before you put everything back together.

There are probably some holes in these instructions, so for those that have already done it, let me know if I need to add more details somewhere. Also, if you are thinking about doing this, feel free to ask any questions. As always, if you are installing this and need some help, give me a call at 714-720-2797 and I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Next, remove the side grey trim pieces that run the length of the shift cover. You can use a plastic pry bar to get under the base of trim piece. Lift up to release. Then pull towards the rear of the vehicle to release the tabs.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.
How do you remove the side trims? If your sitting in the driver seat, do you pull it back towards you to unlock then pull up? Or do you pop them out to the side (horizontally)? dont really understand this part

·
Banned
5 Posts
Hi, my friend just got the flyaudio and I was helping him install it today. Have few questions. Theres 2 blue wires on the unit, one says "BREAK" and the other says "Brck" not sure if we have to hook these up. Also thes a pink wire that we didnt know what to to with. Hook the rest up and seems to be working excellent. Didint get to use it much because it started to get late but seems to be a awesome unit.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, my friend just got the flyaudio and I was helping him install it today. Have few questions. Theres 2 blue wires on the unit, one says "BREAK" and the other says "Brck" not sure if we have to hook these up. Also thes a pink wire that we didnt know what to to with. Hook the rest up and seems to be working excellent. Didint get to use it much because it started to get late but seems to be a awesome unit.
If you connect the wire that says "BREAK" then you WON'T be able to watch DVD's while driving. The one that says "Brck" is for the signal wire for the backup camera. If you didn't get a backup camera then you don't need to connect anything. Let me know if you have any other questions!

·
Banned
5 Posts
Ah ok thanks for you help. I relized my rear camera wasn't working and I hooked the that "back" wire and it works good now. I do have a few other problems. When I first tried out the dvd player its worked fine. today I was driving home and I was getiing audio of of the dvd but no video. I didnt hook up the "break" wire. Could it be that the dvd is bad? Its one that I hard burned myself. I thing theres a button in the setting for "image" that I had to push to get the video. It was origanally lite up but is no longer lite up. Also all of the outer buttons are not lighting up green like the lower unit, so I really cant see them at night. Any idea on how to fix this? And I still have the "pink "wire I didnt know what to do with that either. It has the same type of connecter as the two blue wires. Sorry for all the question... the manual it came with doesnt tell me alot.

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
LexusGuy35, the OP has done nothing but try and help you and has provided excellent service thus far. Watch your posting, personal attacks are not tolerated.

Carry on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.