Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently bought a 2001 is300 and it came with a misfire from cylinder 1 from the codes I ran. It is also leaking oil on the header exhaust side and I can’t imagine how bad the middle of the cam covers are (probably flooded). She runs fine but kinda late on throttle response and weak acceleration. I am planning on replacing valve cover gaskets and while I was there I was gonna go ahead and replace ignition coils,spark plugs and wires, and throttle body mounting gasket. Lmk if you can recommend doing something while I’m there and ANY tips at all would be greatly appreciated. THANK Y’ALL.

·
Registered
2004 5-speed, w/ LSD & Sport package 😎
127 Posts
Hello everyone, I recently bought a 2001 is300 and it came with a misfire from cylinder 1 from the codes I ran. It is also leaking oil on the header exhaust side and I can’t imagine how bad the middle of the cam covers are (probably flooded). She runs fine but kinda late on throttle response and weak acceleration. I am planning on replacing valve cover gaskets and while I was there I was gonna go ahead and replace ignition coils,spark plugs and wires, and throttle body mounting gasket. Lmk if you can recommend doing something while I’m there and ANY tips at all would be greatly appreciated. THANK Y’ALL.
Well, here's some tips:

Replace all 3 motors/sensors on the Throttle Body, clean the TB (brake kleen and the toothbrush of your enemy),
Replace Valve Cover gaskets (with BLUE FEL-PRO gaskets)
Replace sparkplugs, coil pack boots, and sparkplug wires (preferrably with all NGK parts, sparkplugs should be NGK iridium IX or Laser iridium or better)
When you have the coilpacks removed and the sparkplugs still in their respective holes, blast a metric crapton of brake kleen in there, let it sit (not dry, let it sit for like 5 seconds) Then blast again. After the 2nd blast, grab an air compressor that's full, some safety glasses, and blast all the junk out of there!

These are my quick tips for a tuneup on an IS/GS ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much man I really appreciate it. I bought NGK spark plug wires but for the spark plugs I got the NGK TT platinums? Are those cool for now? And instead of blast it with a compressor can I use a vacuum with my slim tube attachment and suck it out instead? Again thank you for the tips brother :D

·
Registered
2004 5-speed, w/ LSD & Sport package 😎
127 Posts
Thank you so much man I really appreciate it. I bought NGK spark plug wires but for the spark plugs I got the NGK TT platinums? Are those cool for now? And instead of blast it with a compressor can I use a vacuum with my slim tube attachment and suck it out instead? Again thank you for the tips brother :D
You read my mind lol
You can use a shopvac and either remove or blow out the debris/gunk, but imo the easiest way is with an air compressor (or if you don't wanna buy one specifically for this project, then a couple cans of compressed air will do the job just fine.)

As for those sparkplugs, they're good, but in my experience, the NGK laser iridium or Ruthenium plugs are the best for Durability and performance. If you want, you can get them 1 step cooler, (bkr7 or something like that) and it'll help performance a bit too. I always use iridum and Ruthenium plugs, and I have the best results with those. Either way, you're set as to maintenance. Also, these engines LOVE royal purple engine oil, and although it may be expensive, it's worth it. Somehow it made the engine run better.... ;) (use 5w-20 if possible, Ik it calls for something else but it all works the same)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You read my mind lol
You can use a shopvac and either remove or blow out the debris/gunk, but imo the easiest way is with an air compressor (or if you don't wanna buy one specifically for this project, then a couple cans of compressed air will do the job just fine.)

As for those sparkplugs, they're good, but in my experience, the NGK laser iridium or Ruthenium plugs are the best for Durability and performance. If you want, you can get them 1 step cooler, (bkr7 or something like that) and it'll help performance a bit too. I always use iridum and Ruthenium plugs, and I have the best results with those. Either way, you're set as to maintenance. Also, these engines LOVE royal purple engine oil, and although it may be expensive, it's worth it. Somehow it made the engine run better.... ;) (use 5w-20 if possible, Ik it calls for something else but it all works the same)
I ended up using an air compressor and it worked better than the vacuum , thanks a lot I appreciate you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts