Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

So I just finished timing belt job on my 2001 IS300 [Automatic] with the OEM kit with cam/crank seals, WP, etc. I also replaced spark plugs and valve cover gasket. When I try to start it, it just cranks. It sounds like it wants to start and it will sputter like it's about to but it doesn't. It backfired once from the exhaust and once from the intake after consecutive attempts to start.

Side note: I did not unplug the battery before doing the job, probably should've but I spaced it.

After the no start, I checked for codes and got a code for TPS and Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. I stupidly erased the codes without taking down the code numbers. After a few more attempts there are no codes present. The TRAC and CEL also flashed after a few consecutive starting attempts.

The timing looks to be perfect I've checked 10s of times. Before the service, the teeth on the cams did not line up exactly parallel with the notches on the cover. They looked angled in slightly towards each other and that's how I put them back.

The only thing at this point I think maybe wrong is that I didn't take off the brass retainer before pulling the crank gear off, which bent the retainer so a tooth may have broken off the cam gear and I didn't notice. Not sure if that would cause no start but I wanted to ask for general help before pulling everything apart again.

Here are some pictures of the cams before (the oily ones) and after (cleaner ones) and the crank pulley.

IMG_2857.JPG IMG_2858.JPG IMG_2859.JPG IMG_2901.JPG IMG_2902.JPG

Thank you in advance for any help.
I'm based in Tacoma, WA if anyone is local to help :)

·
3,517 Posts
Did you clock the VVTi gear right before you set the timing? You should search the forum and read some.

·
Mr. Roo
9,933 Posts
The only thing at this point I think maybe wrong is that I didn't take off the brass retainer before pulling the crank gear off, which bent the retainer so a tooth may have broken off the cam gear and I didn't notice. Not sure if that would cause no start but I wanted to ask for general help before pulling everything apart again.
My guess is that this is broken and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
looks to me like the timing marks are right on the cam and crank, man it looks like it was pretty leaky before!

Have you checked the fuses for EFI and ECU? Check the throttle body motor, APS and TPS are all plugged in correctly, sounds a little like it could be related to them or the crank sensor which you said might not be right, unfortunately that's an all apart again scenario. Also worth checking you have the coil packs plugged in and the ignitor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your replies. I did rotate the VVT cam clockwise as far as the play allowed (15°) before installing the belt.

UPDATE - I pulled everything apart to inspect the crank gear and it is indeed missing a tooth. Looking for a replacement crank gear currently and I will update this thread if it fixed the no start issue to help anyone in the future. :)

Will start checking other recommend options if the new crank gear doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
997 Posts
You indeed found your problem. Here is the part number for a new crank gear if you need it.

13521-46040

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

I replaced the crank timing gear and it started! Felt like everything was good. Went to test drive and the car was stumbling/hesitating pretty bad. Check engine and TRAC OFF light flashed after trying to give it more throttle. Checked the codes and it has:

p0300 (random misfire)
p0301 (cyl 1 misfire)
p0303 (cyl 3 misfire)
p0305 (cyl 5 misfire)

Timing marks still match up, plug wires and coils are connected.

I'm nervous that the VVT gear shifted making it not all the way clocked clockwise before putting the belt on. Would anything be damaged If this is the case? What should I do next?🙃

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
997 Posts
Did you physically check the coil pack connectors for proper connection? Those like to break often.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you physically check the coil pack connectors for proper connection? Those like to break often.
Thanks for your reply. The clips were broken prior to the job, they don't click-in anymore they just sit there. I have new connectors ordered and on the way but I have a feeling this isn't the issue because 3 cylinders are misfiring :/ Do you think it's likely?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
997 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The clips were broken prior to the job, they don't click-in anymore they just sit there. I have new connectors ordered and on the way but I have a feeling this isn't the issue because 3 cylinders are misfiring :/ Do you think it's likely?
All three of those cylinders are connected to all three coil
Packs. It’s probably a coincidence but worth a proper look. If you messed with the injector clips you might check there as well.

did your crank sensor face get damaged at all?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All three of those cylinders are connected to all three coil
Packs. It’s probably a coincidence but worth a proper look. If you messed with the injector clips you might check there as well.

did your crank sensor face get damaged at all?
I'll replace the coil connectors asap. Crank sensor face looked good, wiped off the grease during install. I'm really worried it's a timing issue. 😣

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
997 Posts
I'll replace the coil connectors asap. Crank sensor face looked good, wiped off the grease during install. I'm really worried it's a timing issue. 😣
Well it’s easy to check the timing marks. Just rotate the engine over by hand a few times

·
Registered
413 Posts

Forgot to mention, there is no misfire at idle.
From my experience the one time I did the spark plug servicing, it's highly likely the connectors not making a good connection are the root of the problem. I had the same issue, was fine in low load and idle conditions, then as soon as you apply any more than 20% load, it's misfire city.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get your coil connectors? It's very easy to get ripped off by the big box auto parts stores on this particular product for some reason.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From my experience the one time I did the spark plug servicing, it's highly likely the connectors not making a good connection are the root of the problem. I had the same issue, was fine in low load and idle conditions, then as soon as you apply any more than 20% load, it's misfire city.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get your coil connectors? It's very easy to get ripped off by the big box auto parts stores on this particular product for some reason.
What you're saying is exactly what my car is doing, super helpful thank you for the reply. I Ordered on ebay but the seller just canceled lol. Where did you buy yours??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts