Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mr. Roo
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't had A/C for years... it slowly stopped working over time. I assume the refrigerant leaked out eventually.

Then I had a front-end accident. But they didn't fix the A/C after repairing it, so I tried charging it up (it was empty).

Found a leak from a bolt that wasn't tight, so charged it up some more. But the refrigerant didn't seem to be getting through.

Today I replaced the hi-pressure valve line (from the condensor to the firewall) because it was kinked looking after the accident, and the valve was leaking (probably the original problem).

But I try and charge it up, and the compressor kicks on, but it's not taking much refrigerant. It should take the entire can, but the gauge pressure just maxes out quickly. I can't see anything in the sight glass (IDK what it would look like anyway).

So the compressor works, and there is refrigerant in the system. But is there any special reason that it's not circulating? I'd really love to get it working, these Maryland summers are miserable, and I'm already $300 in. Trying to keep the car out of the shop.

Edit.... replaced the compressor and that fixed the problem, I should have just done that first lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was just going to say the same. You must vacuum the system. Harbor freight has a nice vacuum tool and you'll know if it is leaking. fix the leaks, then try the charge again. get a couple can with oil in it and then the rest buy the cheap one's from walmart. Works every time for when i do peoples car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you put 12v to the compressor? The low pressure switch may be keeping it from staying on until it takes a charge. What are the low and high gauges reading?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts