Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
time for new tires and a staggered setup.
I have:
18x8 wheels,
+42 offset,
stock suspension ,
no fender modification.

Considering 225/45/18 up front and 245/45/18 in the back. Will this rub?
does anyone have pictures of this?

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Those are some tall tires for 18's

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
It will work fine up front, and should be fine in back too. It will only rub a touch in back on big bumps in a weighted down car if you are at stock height.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Those tire sizes won't work...especially at the front unless you want to damage your fender. Just make sure you check the pressures on them regularly to keep from bending wheels. Of course, there will be those hits that nothing will save you from...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Those tire sizes won't work...especially at the front unless you want to damage your fender. Just make sure you check the pressures on them regularly to keep from bending wheels. Of course, there will be those hits that nothing will save you from...
Im not sure what you are saying... he is putting some tall tires on there, but aside from that, it will work up front at stock height... I ran a 225 on a 18x8 +42 while dropped on Stechs with no problems aside from the occasional rub on deep bumps while turning.... maybe im missing your point

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Im not sure what you are saying... he is putting some tall tires on there, but aside from that, it will work up front at stock height... I ran a 225 on a 18x8 +42 while dropped on Stechs with no problems aside from the occasional rub on deep bumps while turning.... maybe im missing your point
The 225mm is not what Teck's point is... It's the aspect ratio of 45%. Did you run 225/45/18 or was it the more common 225/40/18?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The 225mm is not what Teck's point is... It's the aspect ratio of 45%. Did you run 225/45/18 or was it the more common 225/40/18?
I agree, his aspect ratio is off, but it will still work... it will only be ~1" total diameter increase up front... plenty of people running 19s deal with that everyday. In the rear though, with a 245 45 18, that will be off by a full 2" total diameter, which will cause the problems. If there is a problem to be had, it comes with that rear size. I personally try to keep my overall diameters similar to stock... my misunderstanding came in why teck was isolating the front as being the biggest issues.

But 187g... just get some 17" wheels if you want taller sidewalls...

·
Registered
208 Posts
The rear will rub with 4 people in the car.
I would lower the car a go with 40 series tires.
You will need to shave the rear fenders a little.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
Your speedometer/gearing will be compromised.
Don't stagger tires without staggering wheels, the benefits are negligible and it will look weird. Plus, you'll kick yourself when you go to rotate.

If you can't deal with the lower profile tires (bad roads etc.), maybe go back to 17's. That's what I would do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts