Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a car to run in STX (autox) and would like to run something wider than a 225. I understand from derekb that he has ran 245/45-17's on a 17x8 inch wheel with a +38 offset (specifically SSR Comps) and it fits fine. Tires would most likely be Kumho MX or Falken Azenis.

I was just curious if there was anymore info to be has on this board from other users. Brandon? SophieSleeps?

I am not interested in any other diameters or widths as 8" is the widest wheel allowable and 245 is the max width. I would also like to keep the front and rear sizes the same to rotate them.

The car will have about 2 degrees neg camber up front and is lowered about 2 to 2.5 all around with Tein FLEX and eibach anti-sways are in there too. Wheels/tires would be used for daily driving and autox.

Any info is appreciated.

John

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know they will fit, and not rub....I still would like to stick with a 245 though, especially if I'm going to invest a couple grand. It doesn't make sense to go from a 225 which I can use on stock wheels to a 235...the 245/45's do have a 1/2" taller sidewall than the OEM 215/45's, but a 245/40 is almost identical. Unfortunately the Azenis isn't available in 245/40

·
Registered
442 Posts
KekeK said:
I am setting up a car to run in STX (autox) and would like to run something wider than a 225. I understand from derekb that he has ran 245/45-17's on a 17x8 inch wheel with a +38 offset (specifically SSR Comps) and it fits fine. Tires would most likely be Kumho MX or Falken Azenis.

I was just curious if there was anymore info to be has on this board from other users. Brandon? SophieSleeps?

I am not interested in any other diameters or widths as 8" is the widest wheel allowable and 245 is the max width. I would also like to keep the front and rear sizes the same to rotate them.

The car will have about 2 degrees neg camber up front and is lowered about 2 to 2.5 all around with Tein FLEX and eibach anti-sways are in there too. Wheels/tires would be used for daily driving and autox.

Any info is appreciated.

John
This is exactly what I'd like to have. I have some SSR comps 17x8 but am wanting to size up for the future. How bad is the bulge that derekb has?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey glogik, what is the offset on your comps? Do you think you would have clearance for 245's up front?
My advice would be to see if you could do a test fit before you buy. I tried a set of 17X7.5 +45 rotas and they rubbed with 225's! Try to find people who have the exact same combo as you are going to get before you buy. On paper not many wheels with +38 (besides the ssr comps) offset will fit our car.
Let us know what you end up with and how it fits.
Dave

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
glogik,
I don't think the 245's bulge much, if at all, on an 8" rim. I saw some 245/45-17's on a 17x8 last week (Kumho MX's) and the sidewalls were quite square, although kinda tall.

Dave,
aren't you getting some SSR Comps?? I thought I saw you pouncing on the set for $1K in the for sale forum?

Anyhow, it looks like I'm leaning towards Kumho MX in 245/40-17 on the SSR Comps.....light wheel, should fit and a nice wide tire with a short sidewall...

·
Registered
253 Posts
KekeK said:
glogik,
Dave,
aren't you getting some SSR Comps?? I thought I saw you pouncing on the set for $1K in the for sale forum?
Yeah I thouht I was getting them too. Sent him the check weeks ago and he kept saying that the wheels would ship out the next day. Then he told me that they were melted in his house from the wild fires. Then I saw glogik's post above and shot him a pm as to where he got his new wheels. Needless to say, I stopped payment on the check today..
Everyone watch out for sandiegolexus!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Anyways, back to the topic. Tirerack only sells the ssr's in +48 offset, the +38 was a limited production, so you might want to try test fitting a 245 before you go ahead and order a full set of them. They won't guarentee anything over a 225 up front. 245 would be a tight fit but I've seen it done on stock rims.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave
I spoke with someone at TireRack today and their recommendation for the IS300 is the 17x8 with a +48 offset. They do sell the SSR Comps in 17x8 with a +38 offset :) , but they won't guarantee it. They stock the +38 and sell it for another application....

I need to get a hold of derekb and ask him about his experiences with this. I just don't wanna lay down $2K and have problems.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oh ok, they didn't mention this to me and the japanese web site doesn't list them. That's good to know.
Glogik can you comment on the fitment? Have you mounted them up yet? I would imagine that they're flush with the outside of the fender. Can you take some pics?
One option would be to get the +48 to play it safe and get some spacers down the road if you want to push them out a little.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.