Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are what i noticed:
1)good combination of clutch and smooth shift, but don't have that sporty feel since its light clutch and shift.
2)steer wheel extremely light too, feel like driving a Camry.
3)Michlin tires sounds good, but the treadwear is only 170 where the IS300 treadwear is 180, that means last a little longer!
4)The inside, IS300 is look much sexier especailly with black leather, and sport look speedometer.
5)325Ci has less leg room when i climbed back there, my head almost touch the top of the glass.
6)3200 pounds for the CI where 3250 pounds for IS, i feel the IS300 supsenion is little softer then the CI, and a little quiter too.

i love both cars and having a very difficlut time choosing the two(328 and IS300)before i got my Sliver300! the 325ci and IS300 at the same price range, after i tested my friends Ci, that just reaffirm my right decision about the IS300.. that funy thing is that even my friend changed his attitude when his test drove my IS300, saying he should waited a few more day and shouln't too rush to have the 325CI.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Treadwear numbers are not by any means standardized throughout the tire industry.....They may be used only as a reference.....For example, a Michelin tire with a treadwear of 160 does not mean it'll have the same wear factor as with a Bridgestone tire with the same number.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Plus treadwear is an average. It will vary alot depending on the application. The IS300 suspension settings may be hard on tires.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
While I haven't driven a 325, the new 330i blows, the steering is "distant and uncommunicative" and the car is "aloof" - both quotes from the British CAR magazine that say it very well. The 2000 328i/323i is a much more fun car. Buy a performance exhaust and intake and you've got a 330i with steering feel.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
So is BMW really giving in for those who want a car that is easier on their arms? I don't like the direction BMW is taking. I didn't enjoy my drive in the 323 and 328 that much, but it did felt better than any of the Lexus and MB before IS came out. So how light is the steering anyway? Is it really as light as accord and Camry like you said or are you just exaggerating? If it is that light, then there is no point getting a BMW anymore, the whole point of getting a bimmer is for its great feel behind the wheel.
Got to really save my money for a M3 now, or else they may think about putting those light steering into M's as well.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
This trend started with the E46 in '99, which was a lot more refined than the previous 3 series, losing some of its edge but still had excellent steering. Now the 2001 models have steering as light as (not a Camry), but maybe like an A4, and a little lighter than the IS300. Combine that with the already too high levels of refinement and isolation, and the 330 is not really much fun to drive unless you're pushing the limit. BMW is losing a lot of enthusiasts over this issue. Take away the great steering and BMWs are not much more fun than Lexus GSs. (no offense)
As for the M3, it will be heavier steering, don't worry about that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts