Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could have turned out to be a very long story, but I'm going to try to keep it as brief as I can.

The first thing I discovered is that the oil filter is under a plastic tray covering the front part of the undercarriage. This tray is about 3'x2' and is held with about 16 bolts and 4 clips. Don't break the clips. The filter is back about 2.5' from the grille.

A special tool is required to remove the filter cartridge. It is the same tool as is used for the Avalon. The filter insert is supposedly the same too.

I believe the manual says the car takes 6.17 USQ with filter. The tech added 6.25, showed me a slightly low dipstick then said he was going to put .25 more in. I stopped him. When I got home, the dipstick showed slightly over full. No biggie, but stick to the manual, not the tech.

Watch out for oily shoes and make them put a protective mat over your front fenders. My shoes were so bad from standing in the shop that I left oily black footprints all over the paper mat I put in the car. The tech who offered to get in my car was standing in a puddle of oil.

Other than that, I stuck to the manual's recommendation of 5/30, despite people trying to convince me to go synthetic. I think that would have been a HUGE mistake.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Exactly why would sythethic be a HUGE mistake. I mean most high-end performance cars come from the factory with Synthetic.

-Yamaha Dave

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
why are you changing your oil so quick?

the car just came out a month ago...did you drive it that much already?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
1st of all how many miles do u have on ur car already n y not synthetic oil. I have been using sythetic since day 1 of having my car new n can't complan about it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fyeung04msm said:
1st of all how many miles do u have on ur car already n y not synthetic oil. I have been using sythetic since day 1 of having my car new n can't complan about it.
I have 250 miles on my car. When to change your oil during break-in can be, and has been, heavily debated. I'm changing mine at 250 and 1000.

Lexus and Toyota recommend oil changes every 5,000 miles. I saw a bulletin yesterday advising against that practice for certain Toyota models due to a sludging problem and motor burn-out. It had something to do with the mechanics of the lubrication system, and was considered an engineering defect. The moral of that story is that 3,000 can't hurt, 5,000 might.

I work at an energy company and have had the opportunity to talk to the various chemical engineers and engine test techs. From what I have been told, synthetics should only be used after break-in, after which time they are an excellent solution.

I'm not completely sure about why it's a mistake, as I called it, to go with synthetic during break-in, but I believe it has to do with putting too much lube on the rings and not allowing them to properly seat. Unless you added synthetic during break-in, you havent made a mistake, at least based on my definition. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What really cracks me up is how some people give - rep when you don't like what has been said, as if it's going to make you feel better about a decision that has been made.

If you disagree, great, let's talk about it. I put this information up here to provide information to the community. Whether I'm right or wrong can be debated, but I hardly thing that deserves - rep.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
TwoStroke said:
What really cracks me up is how some people give - rep when you don't like what has been said, as if it's going to make you feel better about a decision that has been made.

If you disagree, great, let's talk about it. I put this information up here to provide information to the community. Whether I'm right or wrong can be debated, but I hardly thing that deserves - rep.
who gave you negative rep?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
petaa7 said:
who gave you negative rep?
I don't know. I could just be stupid, which is a likely scenario. I have 125/2 on my points? What's the /2?

I'm not too concerned about rep. I just came here to learn and share my experiences. I would just prefer it if we could disagree without penalizing each other. :)

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
You changed you oil at 250 miles :jawDrop: !?

Damn and everyone was convincing me I was crazy for switching at 1,700 (first oil change from regular --> synthetic)

BTW that switch was on my 2004 Isuzu Rodeo and it completely eliminated the blue smoke being thrown out on a cold start. I'm now hooked on synthetic

Left click on your name on the post, go to View profile, scroll down and you'll see that you have no negative rep.

Reactions: petaa7

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
TwoStroke said:
I don't know. I could just be stupid, which is a likely scenario. I have 125/2 on my points? What's the /2?

I'm not too concerned about rep. I just came here to learn and share my experiences. I would just prefer it if we could disagree without penalizing each other. :)
the 2 equals how many rep points you can give to another person.

the 125 means how many rep points you have received. ;)

noone gave you negative rep.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YellowIS300 said:
You changed you oil at 250 miles :jawDrop: !?

Damn and everyone was convincing me I was crazy for switching at 1,700 (first oil change from regular --> synthetic)

BTW that switch was on my 2004 Isuzu Rodeo and it completely eliminated the blue smoke being thrown out on a cold start. I'm not hooked on synthetic

Left click on your name on the post, go to View profile, scroll down and you'll see that you have no negative rep.
I'm sure it's overkill. I just spent a lot of money on this car, and drive a lot of miles, so I'd like to give it the best chance I can. There is supposedly this booth at SEMA that has this magnetic doughnut you put on your oil filter. They did a demo of it and cut the filter in half and there was a ton of metal particles in the filter.

I will say that it's a huge pain in the butt changing the oil so soon when I drive 120 miles per day.

Next step is to wash/clay/wash/AIO/Seal, after which time I'll throw up some pictures. ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nothing is overkill unless it has a negative result. Changing the oil at 250 miles may not be beneficial, but it certainly won't hurt the car so even if just for peace of mind I think it's a fine idea. I change my oil every 3,000 km, which is about 1,900 miles. It's 2,000km and 1,200 miles before it's "recommended" by the manufacturer, but I have free oil changes for life so why not? I've heard too many stories about modern engines sludging.

Now go wash that car! :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
TwoStroke said:
I'm sure it's overkill. I just spent a lot of money on this car, and drive a lot of miles, so I'd like to give it the best chance I can. There is supposedly this booth at SEMA that has this magnetic doughnut you put on your oil filter. They did a demo of it and cut the filter in half and there was a ton of metal particles in the filter.

I will say that it's a huge pain in the butt changing the oil so soon when I drive 120 miles per day.

Next step is to wash/clay/wash/AIO/Seal, after which time I'll throw up some pictures. ;)
Wow, already gonna clay bar the new car!? I wish you could motivate me to do it to my 2004...I think it needs it! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pradda said:
Wow, already gonna clay bar the new car!? I wish you could motivate me to do it to my 2004...I think it needs it! :)
There was a thread on CL that prompted me to look into this. It turns out that a new car is an excellent candidate for claying as it removes overspray, as well as grime that ends up on the paint during shipping. My finish is definately not "silky smooth".

·
Registered
745 Posts
TwoStroke said:
There was a thread on CL that prompted me to look into this. It turns out that a new car is an excellent candidate for claying as it removes overspray, as well as grime that ends up on the paint during shipping. My finish is definately not "silky smooth".
Didn't realize, thanks.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
TwoStroke said:

I'm with you man.

The +rep -rep thing is stupid.

I got a -rep to for STATING MY OPINION and I guess someone disagreed and gave me a -rep. So if someone doesnt agree with you they can negative rep you? Come one this is a public forum people have different opinions. I dont think thats right. I dont really care, I dont even use the -/+rep thing.

Back to the topic. I agree with you not using synthetic during break-in. It should be used after break-in. If I were you I would switch to synthetic anywhere between 10-15k miles.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
You still haven't answer the question about switching to Synthetic as being bad. If you mean switching at 250mi to synthetic as being bad I will agree with you on that one, but if you mean in the long run I will say no. I had the oil change at 5k mi with Regular Dino than after that everything is with Mobil 1 Syn. with 5k intervals.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
I was under the impression that Lexus/Toyota puts additives in the oil from the factory for proper break-in. You want to go the complete 5K before the first change. This was with the IS300, but I don't see how the 350 would be any different.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts