Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Northern California and have been searching for a low price for the IS300 for the past couple of months. I started out at the dealer, first for a test drive and another to talk price. When it came to negotiating the price of the car I told the salesman the details of the car I wanted: silver/black, luxury sport package (no LSD, no heated seats), moonroof, wheel locks and cargo mat, and then the price I wanted to pay, 31500 (before tax) but he was only willing to go 33500. I didn't want to waste my time going back and forth with the salesman so I left. I realized that I didn't want to go through the hassle of dealing with salesmen so I decided to go through an auto broker. I told the auto broker the details of the car I wanted and that I am interested in leasing but I just wanted to talk price first. I told him I want to pay around 31500 but will be willing to pay up to 32000. He got back to me today and told me the best he could find was 32700 for what I wanted. I really want the car but I know I can get a better deal than this. What should I do?
Also if anyone from the bay area knows where I can get the car for around 31500 please tell me. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
You are on crack if you think you will get these guys to deal...that is actually one of the better prices I've heard of in the bay area. You might want to consider driving down to Thousand Oaks...I know a few people here did.

I paid out my a$$ but I am very happy with my SBM IS300.

Agent Smith Out

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is what you should do. Find a local dealer with the car that you want, bring your check book to the dealer, find the sales person, find the car, and look over the car make sure everything is fine. After that, tell the sales person you are ready to buy (or lease) NOW and say you are willing to buy it for $31,500. If the answer you got is no, tell the person again you are firm on the price. If they say no again, say “thank you” (optional), leave your name and phone number, move on to the next dealer, and repeat the procedure. If no one will offer you that deal on that day, go home and get some rest, someone form one of the dealers that you visited will call you in the next day or two.
Remember, be firm on the price ($31,500), do give them a higher price; otherwise, you will end up paying the higher price. Also, be patience, unless you need the car right away.

$31,500 is a fair price for the IS with the options that you mentioned (MSRP about $33,000) and I am sure someone will give you that deal.

Now, you mentioned you are leasing right? That is a whole new ball game. Make sure the dealer prints out the leasing program with all the numbers on it and study it. The key thing is that you are leasing it at $31,500, with 3 years or 4 years lease and negotiate the money factor to as low as you can I think a fair money factor is 3.9. The residual value of the car also plays a role; make sure the residual value is not set too low.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Residual shouldn't be lower than 62%, and if you have good credit don't agree to any more than 3.9% interest. That's 0.001625 in money factor talk.

These are the typical current figures on a 39 month lease.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Try autobytel or other internet service.

I predict that dealers will be more willing to deal after the new year...

They might bring the IS300 into the AAA, Cosco or Credit Union buying programs which could make a big difference.

(too late for me though)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. More than likely I'll try what amei_fan suggested, go in with my checkbook in hand and stay firm to my price. But I won't go till the end of the month.
As for leasing, when I went into the dealership the salesman told me the IS300 has a residual of 64% after 36 months but tried to jack me with a money factor of 0.004 which works out to 9.6%!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought the car you described for 32K here in Houston. The only difference is mine has dealer installed tint and pinstriping. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts