Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now, it seemed about as likely to materialize as the TRD Supercharger for the Lexus IS300's inline 6. Fortunately, though, the wait is over, and Scion Tc coupe owners longing for more power can now add the long-promised TRD Supercharger. Here's the official Toyota/Lexus/Scion Pressroom news release:

TRD Supercharger Now Available For Scion tC Sports Coupe

10/17/2005 Torrance, CA
Toyota Racing Development (TRD) and Scion announced today that a TRD supercharger for the Scion tC sports coupe will be available through dealerships beginning today. The TRD supercharger will help the stock tC's 160-horsepower engine put out up to 200 horsepower and increase maximum torque up to 13 percent. (from 163 lb/ft for the naturally aspirated version to 184 lb/ft with the supercharger - Ed.)

This all-new TRD supercharger is compatible with both 2005 and 2006 model year Scion tC sports coupes with manual transmissions.
This centrifugal supercharger, which produces seven pounds of boost, was chosen for its compact configuration, ease of installation on the tC and smooth power delivery characteristics.

The supercharger, when installed by an authorized Scion or Toyota dealer, falls under the same powertrain warranty of five years or 60,000 miles, or the balance of the new car warranty, whichever is greater. When not installed by a dealer, the supercharger is covered by a 12-month, 12,000-mile parts-only warranty.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price of the TRD supercharger is $3,200, not including installation.

Hmmm...should I add this one to my shopping list as well if the IS250/350 prices are above my budget?

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Official pics

Just found these official pics:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
For a sweet 40 crank hp, ehhhhhhhhhhhhh no thanks. I know I know, "warranty". F your warranty and give me my turbo

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Got a link to pics and more details on your car, I'm in the process of getting my gf a new car and the TC is one I'm strongly considering.

She want's to work on her car and make it faster so I was thinking new civic or Tc or older 240sx project. But with My IS having so much downtime I would rather get her a new car to work on. Thanks in advance for the help

PS: sorry for the threadjack

·
8,107 Posts
I'd guess the Si will be a better handler and more fun to drive, but the tC w/ 200 hp would be pretty nice. Probably easy to boost it to 240 hp with a pulley and software.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
To JaysonMFK u can consider the new Civic Si which has 197 hp n its a 6 spd man. trans. I drove it n its a bang 4 the buck. It has pretty good pickup n when it hits vtec it pulls pretty good and it has lsd for great handling. I drove all the Civic lineup big night and day differnce n handling. U can also get navi on the Civic which is impressive in its class of cars. Not saying that the TC is bad, I used to like the TC until the revised Civic Si came out. A older 240sx would be nice but u need time n money to build it right.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
To bigkahuna2187 . No this topic has nothing to do with the IS300. Btw did u catch the swell this past weekend. I was at Reef Road Sat. n Sun. with overhead sets going off the both days I was there.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Ok, now this makes it interesting.

See, as an option, if I cannot get a good deal on a new IS350, I was planning on leasing a Civic Si for two years, then picking up the IS350 when the hype dies.

But now, the question begs to be asked.

Should I get the Si, or the tC with the supercharger.

Thoughts?

Joaquin, chime in...you are in the same boat as I.....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
the TC with supercharger is still a waste...

you drop 4-5K for an extra 40 whp....

ive seen it in person a month or so ago and the owner said....its kool but had to be EXTREMEMLY toned down to pass smog/be covered under warranty....he said it was watered down to death and was capable of so much more....for that reason alone i wouldnt waste my money on it...

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
wow thats a cramped up hood...

i dont see how you could change your own oil with that lil space .... Joaquin..get the Civic... you will not be disappointed..I took a t.d. in the EX sedan..VERY NICE.. blew my mind that it was a Civic I was in, not an Acura TL...

Pretty zippy in plain ol EX trim..I'm sure the Si will be mad fun !!!

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
METEORO said:
Ok, now this makes it interesting.

See, as an option, if I cannot get a good deal on a new IS350, I was planning on leasing a Civic Si for two years, then picking up the IS350 when the hype dies.

But now, the question begs to be asked.

Should I get the Si, or the tC with the supercharger.

Thoughts?

Joaquin, chime in...you are in the same boat as I.....
I'd have to drive them both, although it's highly unlikely that any Scion dealer would have a supercharged tC sitting around for a test-drive.

My thoughts:

- Civic should handle better, due to LSD. Also, I believe the Scion tC might have a higher center of gravity because of the weight of the glass sunroof. I also think the Civic has a slightly better-looking, racier exterior.

- Scion tC, on the other hand, has a nicer interior. (I feel ambivalent about the new Civic's double-stack instrument cluster with the digital speedo in the middle.) Also, the Scion tC produces 45 lb/ft of torque more than the Civic.

My current inclination for a Lexus IS alternative, however, is leaning towards a Saab 9-2X Aero (AKA Saabaru). The '06, like its Subaru WRX wagon twin, will get the 2.5-liter flat 4 instead of the 2.0, which should alleviate the 2.0's notorious turbo lag. The Saab version looks notably classier, lacking the new Subaru front which automotive journalist Robert Farago colorfully described as a "flying vagina". The Saab also has a little more sound insulation and, though pricier, includes 2-years' free maintenance. Finally, Saab currently has some killer 2-year lease deals on their other models:
http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/offers/index.jsp?region=se
and I'm hoping they'll do something similar on the '06 9-2X once it goes on sale (It's not out yet, but should be soon.)

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
amitkc said:
wow thats a cramped up hood...

i dont see how you could change your own oil with that lil space .... Joaquin..get the Civic... you will not be disappointed..I took a t.d. in the EX sedan..VERY NICE.. blew my mind that it was a Civic I was in, not an Acura TL...

Pretty zippy in plain ol EX trim..I'm sure the Si will be mad fun !!!
I did get to drive the new Civic Si at the Civic Live driving event. It felt quite nice...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts