Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend has been irking me to do this for safety reasons (cage has been in car for a long time, but with no padding), and 2TGEU had given me the materials (padding) a long time ago to do this. Finally did it.

Teh padding is nice, and is nice to the head if something bad does happen.

Test fitting my home made "mandrel" bend to my Home Depot Racing Supply piece of metal haha, err BlackSportD fabrications wideband mount. Turned out pretty nice.

DIY.

B.

·
Registered
827 Posts
cage looks sick who makes it i want a cage like a cusco just in the back

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Wow...you fabbed that cage yourself with Home Depot Racing supply parts? Good stuff!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
looks very good man. Ive always contemplated a roll cage but i think its to drastic for a daily driver.

The padding is great for people that ride in your car too, they wont hit their head haha.;)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow...you fabbed that cage yourself with Home Depot Racing supply parts? Good stuff!
I wish I had skillz like that. I editted the original post as I saw it could be taken the wrong way. The Home Depot piece of metal was some bracket that had been in the garage for maybe 15 years hahaha. Its thick and really strong, I was banging my head trying to figure out how to try to bend it to the shape of the roll cage, and was really surprised that my makeshift bending had come so close to the cages curvature.

To the other peeps, the cage is a Dash/Okiyama bolt on cage. The fitment is just un-believable. Granted I didn't make the cage, at least I can say my brother and I slapped it in. With some welding experiance down the road and some other tools, I wouldn't mind trying to do this myself someday, infact I plan to (make my own cage) if I get a different car later.

I had the cage on for a long time now, but just finally put the padding on.

If I could do it again, I'd get the Autopower cage simply because its legal in NASA and what not, my JDM cage is not.

And its not good for daily driving. I did what AndrewW mentioned and I took to hart. I took a heavy 4 door and reduced it to a 2 seater, but at the 4 doors weight. But you really can feel that it stiffened up the car.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they wont hit their head
My friend thats been on my ass about it has a friend that is pretty much brain dead, attributed to a head inpact, the car had a cage, and was not padded I believe.

Thats no way to go out, and even more important is if I have passengers. I don't know how much it helps, but sure as hell is better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
yah i knew a guy who had one in his 240 and now he cant talk due to someone hitting him at like 20mph and shoving him sideways forcing his head into the cage. good job.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
i want a roll cage!!!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I mentioned, Autopower (of San Diego) makes a very complete cage for us.

Their quality is not as good as the JDM one IMO, and its heavier, but what matters more is that IT IS legal for multible organizations here in the States.

I wish my cage came with a harness bar, but it did not, the Autopower comes with that, and more, for less $$ too... Damn...

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Looks good man, way to protect your noggin!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Looks nice, how well does the cage fit around the rear seat?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks nice, how well does the cage fit around the rear seat?
Not great, but its possible. I do not know much about the Autopower's fitment. I would think they would be less accommodating to that, and it might not be doable with theirs.

If I could see an IS with the autopower cage, that would be great. I'd entertain the thought of selling this JDM one to put the autopower one in. It would be a compromise, the JDM one has just un-believable fitment, and is beautiful. I've seen an Autopower on an M3, and was not impressed, but I want the legality, NASA is looking damn nice.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
maybe i shud get the autopower one and switch with you ahhahaa

Reactions: LEXIGRL
1 - 18 of 18 Posts