Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. Friday afternoon i wrecked my car. :( A ford focus pulled out of a parking lot turning left and pulled out right in front of me and they T-Boned me. I need to know if you guys think my car is totalled. Here is the link to the pics. if someone can host them that would be great. But just to let you know some pics you cant see real well. The back end of the sunroof started to buckle. And the door panel on the driver side door is pushed out. The glovebox the left side is pushed out and the console left side is pushed out. Looks like the frame is bent. But not sure. I was leaking Tranny fluid all over the place also. Please let me know if you think my car is totalled and if so what i should get to replace my car. here is the link.
http://community.webshots.com/album/348893820KseBkW

Insurance guy calls me back today 9/28/05 and tell me that my car is totalled. That was after yesterday when i told him i was going to get my lawyer involved because he was trying to hose me on the value of the car. I am very happy. Now im searching for a turbo IS. P/M me if you have one for sale.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Shit...I think it's definitely close. I mean with the airbags, structural damage everywhere to the front of the car, yeah it might be. It depends on what your insurance company considers "totaled" though. Each company is different.

sISp

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
well here is what i can say:

depending on what insurance company, sometimes u can push for a total loss, depending howm uch damamge there is to the frame. if u want a new car, push for it. actually no matter what id push for a total b/c when u get tboned that badly, there might be some damage to you engine as well. this is all i can show you, and some PMs i got from lextech1, who is a smart IS300 freak who works for lexus. i consulted him when i got into my accident:

btw i totalled a final $11,000 in damages. i got ripped though, so i know i actually should have run about $9K.

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=254595
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=254319

and lextech1's info he shared with me(i never plan to delete these from my inbox):
PM #1:
Im glad you made it out of your crash unhurt. AS for your car, well its impossible for me to say this or that is damaged, or how extensivly without physicly seeing the car. Yes the car should handle a 20mph crash and be repairable, but that depends on where you it the object, how big it was, if it was firmly attatched to the ground (tree or wall vs another car). There are just too many factors for me to comment on it. Have the car inspected by a well known qualified body shop. This is a unibody frame car, meaning they dont have a seperate frame like a full size truck. the body is part of the frame. I guess I really cant offer any other advice. Oh and if the insurance totals you car, they dont just give you a new one, they will give you what they concider "fair market value" for your car before the accident.(minus deductible) it is then up to you to find and buy your new car.

PM #2:
unibody cars dont have a "frame". the whole body is what gives the car its strength. there are "frame rails" sort of speak, stronger areas of the body, like on both sides of the engine. this is where the aluminum cross bar up front bolts to the car. (the strongest section)
Now ther are subframes front and rear, the front is to support the engine, and front suspension, and the rear subframe supports the diff and rear suspension. It is possible you may have damaged the front subframe because the lower control arm is bolted to it. thus a larg impact on the control arm could be transmitted to the sub frame. IT can be replaced and i ave done it myself, damage to this will not total your car. That is all of course hypothetical, until you actually inspect the car.

i dont know is any of this applies to you, but that answered a lot of my questions about frame damage. hope you're alrite, and best of luck.

-Aaron

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question. Out of all the cars what would you guys get? a G35, 350Z, STI, or EVO MR Edition. Or any other car for about 30-35K

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Depensd what yoyu;re lookin for in a car. this has been brought up countless times, but in the end, its your own preference.

-Aaron

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree with onyx, its up to your own opinion. I think your car should be considered total from the picture you provide. Good luck with your situation.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Having attempted to bring an Is300 back from a rear end collision I would do whatever possible to get it totalled. That unibody frame is no joke. The roof has dents and problems just from being hit in the right rear. The drivers seat itself got twisted from where it connects to the floor shifting. It really is no joke repairing these cars and it will never be the same. I never used to believe that and thought hey I can get a great deal on a car and just repair it. I love the car but since you know what it should be like it will drive you nuts when thigs aren't exactly how they used to be. The only advantage is if you could wiggle a way to get a full turbo kit on that bad boy while it is being repaired...

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Well, glad you made it out ok, sorry about your car.
Looking at the pics, im guessing you will be very close to if not totalled. The picture on the third page is what makes me cring the most, the "under front end" picture. look closely at the body (frame) just above the inner tie rod boots (the rubber boot looks like an accordian) notice the "frame" is buckled. It takes a hard hit to bend the body this far back. This car will never be perfect again if it is rebuilt. If you have it fixed, I would sell it.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
mine looked way worse... thank god they totalled mine...

i think you are kinda close.. but who knows.. insurance can be funny sometimes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on my car.. The guy whos quoting it from the other insurance company, which is Westfield, said hes only quoting around 20K in damage and he said nada on my car is 30,000. It's an 04 IS300 with 24000 miles. I told him i bought the car for 30G's how can it not have lost value. He said well we arent going to total your car out because its not 80% of its value. I told him i want a second opinion about the worth of my car. Does anyone know if there is anything i can do to prove its not worth that much?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nav or no Nav? Base 05 IS300 manual is 30,280 (MSRP), and $26,710 invoice. Take a look at KBB.com for used car values. They show 24,460 for an 04 no leather, no nav, 24k miles.

Best way to go if I were you is to get other quotes for repair. Find a high end shop that works on Lexus/BMW/Mercedes a lot. I'm sure they'll give you a more accurate quote for repairs. If you can get 3-4 similar quotes, you can use that to dispute the 20k damage figure.

Good luck

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no nav. i told him that KBB.com lists it at 25,000. He said well most insurance company's use nada. So thats what they go buy. N.A.D.A. lists it at 28 for my car. Which i think is pretty high.

·
Registered
168 Posts
KissmyIS said:
Another question. Out of all the cars what would you guys get? a G35, 350Z, STI, or EVO MR Edition. Or any other car for about 30-35K
def a G35 coupe, althought the '05 4-door G35 dun look so bad...the G35 jus has that look about it the stock engine for that car aint bad either...but...

if you're considering gettin a new car after this accident...y not go for the New IS350? sumthin to think bout

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I just got into an accident myself today *sigh* :( . But good thing to take away from it is that you're okay. The car can be fixed and/or you can always buy another one. Hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's totalled without a doubt. Sorry about your ride.

-Shawn

·
Registered
168 Posts
it all depends what you want...i can def. say that this car is repairable, no doubt about that, but its def. gonna cost you some major $$$ and a lot of headaches cuz this car is great, but after an accident this big, i doubt it will ever drive or feel the same again after repairs.

So its up to you...i doubt insurance will say it totaled (cuz they'll lose money)but there are always ways around that if you realli want to replace the car. However, an accident is an accident and your insurance rate will def. go up.

My advise is...take the money, get an '06 IS350 and come back to us .netters better and stronger than before! <--easier said than done, i kno :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HaHa thanks for all the comments. And i heard from allot of people that the car will never drive the same again. Thats why im so afraid of getting it fixed. If they total it out then im looking at whoosh's IS that he is selling on here. Hopefully it will get totalled.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts