Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the perfect IS for me. 25,000 miles , Navigation, Black, All Leather, 02............. only issue, dealer wants 28,800 ........ which is ridicilous.......... i know blue book on it says 26,500 for it here in washington........... i was approved for 20,000 and i got 5 thousand in cash........... what points should i bring up to the dealer, what should my orignial offer be? I think this can be done right, you guys were saying you can get an 02 for 20,000, i know it has low miles and navigation, but 28,000 thats crazy! I would really like to have this one! any tips, or suggestions please! Wantin to join the IS FAM here hopefully by the weekend! :cool:

·
Registered
150 Posts
yea..that's 2 much also knowing that there's going 2 be a totally redesigned IS sedan in 2 months or less which im pretty sure automatically drops the value of the previous model year..just search around..

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
First of all please answer the following questions:
1.Is the dealer selling it a Lexus dealer? If so, is it a Certified Pre-Owned car (6 yr 100K warranty)?

2. Are there any repainted parts of the car? Check CARFULLY-- itll help you negociate

3. Are there a bunch of others for sale locally for less? Bring in those prices to show them.
Now, since it is fully loaded, is a popular color, and has Nav, it will naturally demand more $$$$. Points to bring up in negociations: Its essentially a 4 yr old car now that the new 06 is about to come out (helps you negociate). The sticker on that car brand new was about 36K so theres no reason to pay almost that for a used one.

Lastly, inform them that you can get a brand new 05 for $28K. Realistically, since this is a very low mileaged, fully loaded car, youre going to spend a lil more than most 02s are worth. If its from a Lexus dealer w/ a warranty, youre paying for that too.

Offer them 21 for the car and play with those numbers. If they'll sell it to you for 23K-ish INCLUDING tax & license assuming its a Certified Pre Owned, its a pretty good deal and I'd say GO FOR IT! Good luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do a drive by and stay the fock away from them. You might as well let them do what ever they want if you fall for that price.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
i got a 03 sportdesign with 13000, no navigation for $27700...and that was a year and a half ago....i dont know if navigation is worth that much...:lol:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Blue book for that car is waaay under $26,500, don't let the dealer tell you what Blue Book is - go to Edmunds, Pace, and KBB yourself. Dealers use the purposely overinflated NADA book. You should know that book is a scam because it published by the North American Dealers (aka Stealers) Association. The maximum dealer retail on that car is about $24K - $25K. However, the true market value is more like $21K - $23K. Add in another $1K if it's Lexus certified. You can buy a new one for close to what they're asking! It would be without the Nav system, buy you could then just add a Garmin Navigation system at a later date.
But back to the car at hand. If you really want this one, here's what you do. Go in there today and tell them you're ready to buy on the spot. Then, offer them $20K. When they tell you "hell no" or "screw off" or whatever, just explain to them that you got approved for an $18K loan from your bank and you have an additional $2K in cash for the downpayment, so $20K is max you can go. They'll try to offer you financing through them for a higher loan amount, but tell them you only trust your bank and you couldn't afford the higher payments anyway. If they still say no (which they probably will), just politely walk out, but leave your phone number and tell them to call you if they change their mind and that you'll come sign the paperwork immediately if they call to accept your offer. This is the end of the month and they're really gonna want to sell the car. So, you just play it cool. If they don't call you tomorrow, call them around 2pm and tell them you're ready to come pick up the car for $21K because your parents (brother, friend, whoever) agreed to give you $1000 towards the purchase. Ask for the sales mgr if the sales guy still tells you no. Be willing to go up to $22K with the sales mgr (only if you really want the car - say you got another $1000 from your girlfriend). Then, he'll feel like he did his job as a closer by getting another $1000 out of you. $22K should be your final offer, you can easily pick up a nice clean '02 for less than that. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. I've got an '02 with Nav myself and can tell you that it's a great car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm being offered an '02 Black w/ 24k miles on it for $21,900 and I think that's high...28k is highway robbery and navigation is useless to get through a dealer, just get it off of ubid.com for 300 bucks if you must have it.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
OMG 28G for a an 02 IS... please I am telling you right now that is a terrible offer man. You can go get yourself an 05 for close to that price because dealers are trying to get it off their lots. TERRIBLE DEAL PLEASE DONT BUY IT. Brand new it was worth 35... 4 years later only 7thousand in deprication? BAD DEAL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, well that one ended up being sold, and i just got back today to check out one with 41,000 miles...........GGP.......navigation, chrome stock wheels (dont care for em) Everything is fully loaded...... leather, its got it all... paint is flawless, carfax good........ they want 26,400 for it.......... We offered 21,500............ so about 24,000 out the door................ they said they got it for about 24,000 from california, my dad was like BS.......so we left..... they called us back after 5 minutes down the freeway........... my dad and the sales manager still talked about it, my dad was like your still going to eat tonite, and make a profit.......... ..... my dad was like all right 22000 max, if u can make it happen great......if not.......... dont call back......... So do you think they will call us back this tuesday with an offer?

·
11,061 Posts
So, you get a car?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes i did get a car! i got some pics of it, and I will post em up on here pretty soon. 02 Lexus Is300.... GGP..... Chrome stock wheels.... Navigation, ... paint is basically flawless....41,000 miles...... In love with it!

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
CONGRATS! Enjoy your new toy and don't let the mod bug bite hard. :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sounds good!

Post up some pics!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hole In ONe said:
yes i did get a car! i got some pics of it, and I will post em up on here pretty soon. 02 Lexus Is300.... GGP..... Chrome stock wheels.... Navigation, ... paint is basically flawless....41,000 miles...... In love with it!
So how long did it take for them to call back and say they would take your offer?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WE jus kept playin phone tag, over the weekend..... Finally agreed on an offer.......... i payed 24,500 out the door.........which i know is high, but i didnt care, i just wanted the car! i know i could find 03
s for that much with less milage, but this car had everything i wanted, perfect paint, navigation, and ive been wanting it for so long, i was like, GET this CAR... so i did.... A washington meet would be nice! i need to get out for real, alls i do is work. Be cool to meet up with some other people ive never met before............ Up IN seattle maybe? im bout half hour from there.... pics are coming, got a couple so far , but waitin for a nice sunny day, which dont happen much here

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have a bunch of your buddiesgo in seperately and offer $18k, $20k, and so on. Then offer him $23k and give them your #, after a week or so they'll call you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts