41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I might consider that for the future. I have never heard of that kind of failure before. Interesting.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I might consider that for the future. I have never heard of that kind of failure before. Interesting.
It happens more often than you think. My old job at SRT would manufacture their own CNC billet version of the 2JZ timing tensioner. We would have customers come in the shop sometimes with either hairline fractures on the tensioner or have engine failure due to lost of timing, because the stock tensioner broke. These cases only seemed to happen with moderate to extensive builds.

From what i can remember the owner of SRT experienced this kind of failure with his own IS300 race car just before a big race probably Import vs Domestic at MIR. Which led to the re-engineering of his own tensioner. After milling out a custom one he never had that problem since. so if i were you i would invest in one now than later.

Swift Racing Technologies - SRT CNC Billet 2JZ Timing Belt Tensioner Bracket

·
Registered
732 Posts
It happens more often than you think. My old job at SRT would manufacture their own CNC billet version of the 2JZ timing tensioner. We would have customers come in the shop sometimes with either hairline fractures on the tensioner or have engine failure due to lost of timing, because the stock tensioner broke. These cases only seemed to happen with moderate to extensive builds.

From what i can remember the owner of SRT experienced this kind of failure with his own IS300 race car just before a big race probably Import vs Domestic at MIR. Which led to the re-engineering of his own tensioner. After milling out a custom one he never had that problem since. so if i were you i would invest in one now than later.

Swift Racing Technologies - SRT CNC Billet 2JZ Timing Belt Tensioner Bracket
That price is ridiculous.

PHR Billet one: http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=4474

·
Registered
474 Posts
That price is ridiculous.

PHR Billet one: *Engine Performance - Supra
yeah it is crazy, but so is some of PHR stuff, but the point I'm trying to make is to upgrade it :lol:

years back PHR used to charge 300-400 bucks for a modified alternator. I check back a month or so later when i was ready to buy. It went up by 200 bucks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This is a good conversation. I wonder what hp these commonly break at? I will most likely add this a little later once I have some more money and the motor is broken in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are you using solid motor bushings to prevent contact FFIM with the wheel house wall?
I will use the same FFIM, but i was thinking about shortening the low runners, do have some spare space for OEM engine bushings!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Love that you hopped into it immediately. Congrats.

For EMS, I've heard great things about the Greddy EMU and the AEM Infinity or V2. They're pretty proven around here.

Looking forward to seeing more progress! I wish I had the money to be making the same amount :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Sorry it has been a while since I posted. Life has a way of getting in the way. At any rate I will post some more pictures of the progress this weekend. I am planning on going with the MAP ECU for engine management. I just don't have the 2K laying around for the AEM at the moment. I may upgrade this summer if the MAP ECU doesn't work out. My builder seems to feel it will get the job done. The big thing right now is going to be getting the shifter to line up properly on the R154.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I recall correctly, it's 29" from the flywheel to the center of where the shifter should sit. Not sure if it will help with what you mean by line up, but hopefully it will.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Just ordered some upgraded parts for the R154. The list is below:
Heavy Duty Bearing Cover Plate, R-series MCTM-4142
R150F Minor Rebuild Kit (1988-10/91) MCTM-2R150F with R154 seals
Shift Fork, R-series, 1st/2nd Gear MCTM-4211K
Chromoly R-series Thrust Washer Kit

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well I spent some time on the car today. The parts I ordered for the transmission came in and we are the process of rebuilding the transmission.

We pulled the transmission housings. I am going to finish cleaning and paint them this evening.

This is a picture of part of the custom exhaust. I am recirculating the waste gate because I don't want the car to be crazy loud. I just want a good exhaust, turbo whine, and blow off valve sound.

My shifter came in also. I went a different route than most because I didn't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred on something that I was going to have to straighten anyways.

HKS Air Filter

I installed the new fuel pump today also.

I have looked at two different turbos at the shop so far. An additional one should be coming in this evening. I will make my decision hopefully by tomorrow evening.

I also got the billet tensioner bracket in but I forgot to take a picture of it. It looks just like the one earlier in this thread though. That will be going in tomorrow along with the HKS timing belt. I had the VVT-i cam rebuilt and painted to match the HKS cam gear. Lots of progress but still lots to go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Hello all. The build is taking its sweet time getting done. I am looking for some turbo advice. I am looking to do 450+ to the rear wheels for a daily driver. I currently have a precision 6266 gen 2 at the house. I am thinking about the turbonetics GTX550 or 600, or the garrett GT35r. Anyone have any suggestions? Let me know. I hope to have some new pictures up soon.

·
Registered
340 Posts
question where did you get your down pipe and midpipe, and how is it fitment wise on the car is that the cx racing or ebay down pipe, im asking because im interested on a new down pipe ..let me know thanks if the fitment and if it clears properly thanks and no leaks..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It is a CX racing downpipe. We should be starting the car later this week. I will let you know how the fitment is once the exhaust is done.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is a CX racing downpipe. We should be starting the car later this week. I will let you know how the fitment is once the exhaust is done.
Thank You sir ...good to know is the turbo manifold also a cx racing

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I know it has been a long time since I posted. It has been a really frustrating time with my builder. My question is any one familiar with dynspack dynos? That is what we will be using for my car. Thanks.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts