Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been replacing the crappy Bose system in my car and I finally got it finished. I have a little tuning left to do, but the initial sound is well beyond my expectations. The single 12" driver hits a lot harder than I thought it would.

Here is what I put in the car:
Sony MEX-5DI head unit
Polk 6.5" components in the front, 6.5" coaxials in the rear
JL Audio 300/4
JL Audio 250/1
JL Audio 12W3V2 in a fiberglass enclosure

What I was going for was as stealth a look as possible, so I hid the amps in the original sub enclosure and had a box built for the spare tire well. When everything is closed up, only the HU and the tweeters are visible. I have been toying with the idea of getting a blank panel and putting a plexiglass window in so that the amps are visible.

Please excuse the low quality of the pictures. Its terribly overcast here today.
Here is the link to the pics

EDIT: They are Polk, not Poly. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sweet, great job! Nice and stealth, I like it alot. Did you do the entire install (except the box) by yourself?

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Demos said:
Sweet, great job! Nice and stealth, I like it alot. Did you do the entire install (except the box) by yourself?
Thanks. Yea, I did all the wiring and installation myself except for the box. I was scared of some install guy taking the car apart so I garaged it for about two weeks and really took my time so that I didn't have to skimp on any details. Having done it myself I am completely comfortable with the wiring, because I know that everything is very secure and all wiring is strapped and mounted properly. Its going to take a 100mph+ crash to move those amps. :)

The box is pretty secure too. The guy built the post that the spare tire used for mounting into the box so that the box is bolted to the chassis. The guy was very good. I'll have to try to find his business card so I can put a link to his website.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T Man said:
Nice way to use your 1 cu. ft. of trunk space. :wink:

Looks good man.

:chill:
Thanks. Actually, I think that was about 1.5ft^3 of airspace. Whatever it is, it seems to suit the 12W3V2 quite well. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's be cool if you find his business card. Since I'm also in Atlanta, I might hit him up for a box also (I have one, but it's not optimized).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Demos
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing