Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Master Troll
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my DDE's in for almost a year now (umnitza's gen iv), but first, they weren't bright enough. So i upgraded to the gen V ones. But then they were really bright, but kinda white.

I wanted them to match the fogs, so i spent almost a year looking for colored glass or something else to make the color right. I couldn't find anything that i was satisfied with.

Then LCA gave me a suggestion, which i thought would NEVER work. A very high tech solution:

That sounded way too simple. But i thought for the $1.59 or whatever a sharpie costs, i can probably at least try it out.

it worked!

It came out practicly perfect:

The yellow in the pics isn't any where near as yellow as it looks in person. I think the brightness of the fogs is taking away from the dde's.

As you can see, even in cloudy seattle "daylight" (if you can call it that) the DDE's are definately bright enough to see.

Now i just need to come up with a smaller lightbox for the drivers side. My fibers are too short to move the box far, and the current place kinda has it wedged in a kinda clunky way that just doesn't look clean. What i think would be "killer" is a CF tube to put the bulbs in. maybe i'll have to get edgy to make me a little 'sumpin!

The whole thing here:

http://hazy.my-is300.com/dde.php

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nice job John.....

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
BUTRBALL12 said:
CharlieD06 said:
Tha Reaper said:
but one question tho... are the city lights disabled if running the DDE's? :-?
That depends on if you do the DRL Disable mod or not.

VERY NICE DDE's MAN!!!
DRL has nothing at all to do with the city lights, know what your saying before you say it.
so tell me butterball...can you actually keep the City Lights on even though you're running the DDE's? or is that where the DDE's plug into? thanks...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
im not completely sure because i dont have them but i did help with an install and the DDE wires run though the hole for the city lights so i assume there is no space for the city light bulb to also fit. My answer would be no, the city lights would now be disabled if you were to get the DDE's......so worth it in my opinion :D

·
Master Troll
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
in the pics right there, i don't have the headlights on at all, so neither are the city lights.

I have the DDE's hooked up to another switch in the cockpit, so the dde's can be on regardless of the headlights. I also colored the city bulbs with the yellow marker so that i can have the parking lights on but not the headlights, and the yellow city's match with the DDE's and fogs.

the way i ran the dde's the city lights are still in there. I ran the fibers for the dde's through a rubber plug where there were already wires running into the ballast (i think) thats in the bottom of the headlights. (i did that almost a year ago, so i don't completely remember anymore! :) )

Some people did run the fibers through the city light hole, so "tha reaper" isn't TOTALLY off base, for you guys that were yellin at him :)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
jgardner said:
in the pics right there, i don't have the headlights on at all, so neither are the city lights.

I have the DDE's hooked up to another switch in the cockpit, so the dde's can be on regardless of the headlights. I also colored the city bulbs with the yellow marker so that i can have the parking lights on but not the headlights, and the yellow city's match with the DDE's and fogs.

the way i ran the dde's the city lights are still in there. I ran the fibers for the dde's through a rubber plug where there were already wires running into the ballast (i think) thats in the bottom of the headlights. (i did that almost a year ago, so i don't completely remember anymore! :) )

Some people did run the fibers through the city light hole, so "tha reaper" isn't TOTALLY off base, for you guys that were yellin at him :)
i wasnt yelling at reaper, he asked a simple question. Just Charlie boy was giving wrong information. thats all. THe ones i installed were the very first batch from umnitza like a year ago so i dont know if they were setup differently. ALso LCA has physically put the rings in the housings so that could have been different as well.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
WhiteLex03 said:
:eek: looks awesome, but later on the color yellow of the marker will wear off and start to fade because of the heat of the DDE's rings.

-Ringo
i thought LEDs didnt run hot like regular bulbs. Could be wrong though :-? Although Ringo is right on the fading part. Even just being in the sun, the sharpie might need to be touched up in the future.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
BUTRBALL12 said:
WhiteLex03 said:
:eek: looks awesome, but later on the color yellow of the marker will wear off and start to fade because of the heat of the DDE's rings.

-Ringo
i thought LEDs didnt run hot like regular bulbs. Could be wrong though :-? Although Ringo is right on the fading part. Even just being in the sun, the sharpie might need to be touched up in the future.
Well I am assuming the LED's will run hot like regular bulbs and fade the yellow of the sharpie off the DDE's rings.

-Ringo

·
Registered
670 Posts
DDE doesn't use the LED bulbs, and I believe DDE ring itself doesn't get hot that much......

and about the city light, I kept the city light as well, but there are people chose to take it off...

Hey John, what about this??? My car with DDE with clear fog.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.