Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after a long un succesful hunt for a body shop that would roll the fenders for me, and not finding one that would do it wihout having to repaint the car, I decided to do the work myself. I finally got the 18x 10's on the car with very very big 285's. The fenders needed some encouragement. Besides rolling the fender lip, I went a step further and carefully flared the lip with the east wood fender rolling Jeff at Turbo East Let me borrow. It was a bit tricky to get both sides even but I think it worked out well. The most important thing to remeber is to heat the paint up with a heat gun, not a hair dryer. Get the paint hot to the touch but be very careful not to boil the paint. By heating the paint I was able to roll the lip entirely and also flare out the fender. NO PAINT CRACKING AT ALL!!! The BFG KDW2's are a very very big 285, compared to the summitomo htzrII, same size allegedly, the BFG's are over a 1/4 inch wider. And I though 285 was 285 was 285. WRONG again... I needed to do this because of my traction issues, 255's werent cutting it. Traction is much better now even though I can still light up first even if I roll into it nice and easy, second hooks up much quicker. I did notice that at high speed the rear seems a bit looser dont know if it is because the tires are new or because of the air flow hitting the leading edge of the tire. All in all car now hooks up in second light years faster than it did. Any way take a look at the picture below.

more pic links:

http://tinypic.com/epmxec.jpg
http://tinypic.com/epmxqa.jpg
http://tinypic.com/epmxwy.jpg
http://tinypic.com/epmybo.jpg

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Congrats.
Sweet wheel on a sweet car.
If I was ever to be behind that car I would crap myself and soil my pants.
Its aggressive.
WOW
I love it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
OMG... sick car!!
I would stay a good 5 car length behind you... afraid u would shoot 5 foot flames from your exhaust... lol :)

BTW what's your rear offset?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, It took some work but well worth it.

As for the flames...lol i guess if it wasnt an open wastegate there might be more of them coming out the back. I have been told that the flames that come out are a bit intimidating. ;)

The offset is a bit weird. they dont make the correct offset, so they take a 61 and machine it down a bit. I think it is at 58.5mm. Ill find out when it is off Ill measure it again.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres a pic of the car before the new rears went on, this is with the same wheels 18X9 and 255's. Doesnt look any where as mean.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
how much space do you have from the tire to the shock? i thought about going really high offset, but dont know how much clearnace i would have to the shock.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
good job, the BFGOODs are alot wider then other tires. I personally never liked mine I had the KDs something summer only. no rain. Alot of vibration/noise, didnt seem to handle well and after a year 3 were out of round. Good tread life though.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
someone needs to flare out the back!! itll look BAAAAAAAD...

just read you manually flared them a bit to fit....but you need some aftermarket flares...haha...then itll look BAAAAAAAD"er"

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AltezzaBob said:
how much space do you have from the tire to the shock? i thought about going really high offset, but dont know how much clearnace i would have to the shock.

I still have about 1/2" inboard. with the tein flex. other shocks may offer less room. the tein are very narrow.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sentinel said:
good job, the BFGOODs are alot wider then other tires. I personally never liked mine I had the KDs something summer only. no rain. Alot of vibration/noise, didnt seem to handle well and after a year 3 were out of round. Good tread life though.
edit: you may have had the G-force TA drag radial.

These would be the G-Force T/A Wet/Dry radial. KD= dry, KDW=wet and dry.

there isnt any vibration and little noise with these. they are the KDW2's. I have put about 3oo miles on so far. Got to test them in the rain, all I can say is woow!! Out- perform the toyos I had on by miles. And I had the T1S. (Supposedly one of the best rain tires made, for street use that is) I should receive the fronts this week. 245-35-18. just got back from dinner. Traction is significantly greater. Id say about 80% more traction than what I had previously. I can actullay launch the car above 3k. Still get some spin but much easier to modulate the gas now. requires less (self) control. ;)

Reactions: LexISpooled

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I absolutely love the pics, very good job +++!!!

Props for not using flares which IMO really dont look great on the IS..

What series tire is that bfg 30 or 35 series and what width offset are your fronts to fit those 245's

1 - 20 of 124 Posts