Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
Guess I will wait for mine to break.🤷🏽‍♂️
If the balancer appears to be in good shape. Run it. At least that’s what I say.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Haha I feel you, you asked for suggestions and that’s all I’m giving. At the end of the day if you think it’s ok then it’s your choice. The aftermarket does make it tho.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Balancers rarely fail. I’ve never seen one on these engines fail. Only other thing I could think of is the serpentine belt tensioner. If the bearings are bad, then that could get replaced. It’s not common practice to replace it unless it’s going out.
Like he said the tensioner pulley bearing can be purchased separately. Driftmotion sells it. I myself pressed a new bearing and reused the tensioner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is your balancer? If so it is failing. It is no longer balanced and that’s why it’s rubbing the cover. See the thread I attached. Eventually it will separate and the pulley will be shot out. I had one on a GS (same engine) damage the fan housing.

I’d forget the filter and tensioner bearing and fix this first.

·
Registered
789 Posts

Here’s another recent thread with another common problem at high mileage.
just saw the above photos and thought . . . "is this the same one we were looking at a month or so ago...?" o_O

·
Registered
311 Posts
"So my outstanding question to each of you: Is there anything else I should look at doing..."
I know I mentioned it in a previous post, but this is the belt I was talking about. I didn't want to post an unreliable link since the product name and photo were different, but here's an eBay listing with the correct picture. I'd highly recommend these, I can't stand the squealing of used belts as they age.

Balancers rarely fail. I’ve never seen one on these engines fail. Only other thing I could think of is the serpentine belt tensioner. If the bearings are bad, then that could get replaced. It’s not common practice to replace it unless it’s going out.
Well I can attest to being one of the unlucky ones as well, mine ripped itself a part while I was leaving a parking lot. Got an aluminum one and haven't looked back since

·
Registered
311 Posts
Fun fact, if your balancer ever falls a part, why replace it when you can use JB-Weld to put it back together!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts