Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to getting this filter out for cleaning/inspection? I have tried several times using pliers and a magnet, but no luck. I can see it in there, just cant grab onto it. Also, while I have this disassembled, is there anything else I should inspect/replace? I have replaced the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, PCV, water pump, thermostat, cam seals, crank seal, cleaned throttle body, and a bit of general cleaning. I am at 272.5K miles on this engine.
Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would reseal the VVTi housing. The old FIPG breaks down and seeps oil, most people think it’s the valve cover and do that and problem persists. Be careful with the small Allen bolts. People seem to break the housing all the time, how I don’t know.... that would also make it easy to get the OCV filter out as well.

·
Registered
789 Posts
mine came out clipped to the back of the bolt, but came apart fairly easily when i had it out. From memory i think the hole comes out behind the cam seal, i seem to remembering it squirting oil into their when i went to test putting it back together as it is what activated the VVTI pulley. You might be able to gently push or blow it out?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, tried that 1st, it was not on the bolt and I can see it in there. I tried needle nose/picks and could not grab on it. Might open the VVTI housing and get it, then reseal the housing with permatex ultra black. I just put in a new cam seal on the VVTI housing. You guys see any problem with this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I looked at removing the VVTI housing and it wont work without removing the valve cover too, which I already replaced and resealed last month. The breakout is not clear, but I have photos...
Those allens are under the cover.... ugh

·
Registered
72 Posts
Reuse the new gasket if it’s new. Reseal the corners as marked on the repair manual with silicone. When you remove the housing, lift straight up and the cam seal should not be disturbed. When you reseal do the same.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
I didn’t replace the filter when I just did my timing service. Didn’t reseal the VVTi housing either. I like to live on the edge. My engine has 162k on it though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wanted to pull the filter to inspect it, not sure if I want to add the effort of pulling the throttlebody again and pulling the valve cover.... LMAO.

SolarYellow - The cam seals are new as are the valve cover gaskets

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just wanted to pull the filter to inspect it, not sure if I want to add the effort of pulling the throttlebody again and pulling the valve cover.... LMAO.
I’ll tell you this, in 6+ years as a Lexus tech, I never saw one fail. Rarely did the solenoid fail.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my outstanding question to each of you: Is there anything else I should look at doing while I am in here. I am still waiting on my new crank timing gear to finish this and put it back together. Thanks again for your help! This is where I sit now... see photo below

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just to say you are probably going to have to take the cam covers off again anyway as to torque up the cam gear bolts you should be using a spanner on the hex of the cam. I guess you could try and torque it up against the belt but the risk is pretty high that it will spin and damage the valves or the belt. I assume you had the covers off already and replaced the seals? It shouldn't matter if you have to remove them again, they should seal fine if they are new.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
Balancers rarely fail. I’ve never seen one on these engines fail. Only other thing I could think of is the serpentine belt tensioner. If the bearings are bad, then that could get replaced. It’s not common practice to replace it unless it’s going out.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Here’s another recent thread with another common problem at high mileage.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts