Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, fairly new here, I have a few questions, I apologize if they have been covered before...I'm considering picking up an IS in the future. Any car I do buy will see some occasional track time (HPDE). I'm just curious how the IS fares out of the box. I'm attracted by the practicality, reliability, and good looks of the IS. I can live without monster hp, but I want a capable car right from the get go. It doesn't have to win dragraces but it should be fun. (I like embarassing lesser drivers with better cars. :p )

That being said, are the IS brakes up to the task (good pads, fluid, and SS lines are a given)? How about suspension...can you make the car really handle on a budget (ie sways, no coilovers, etc)? And finally, regarding LSDs...were they standard on the 02 to 04 5-speeds, or optional? If optional, how do you check?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
311 Posts
LSD was only on the 5spds, and I believe that it was standard for 2002-2004. I think that it may have been an option for 05. The stock suspension is good and can be improved with simple sways and strut bars. I have autocrossed for 3 seasons and I just ran my first HPDE. I have only had one time where I experienced brake fade. The stock brakes worked great out at Thunderhill, but I only ran 20 minute sessions. I do plan on upgrading to some SS lines and some better fluid and pads. I have heard in the past from IS owners that attend HPDE on a regular basis that upgrading the brake fluid drastically reduces the chance of brake fade. I had a blast at my first HPDE. I loved passing all of the high powered sports cars that I ran with. I am sure that some people were annoyed with me and my slow Lexus.

·
Registered
941 Posts
ISinCP said:
LSD was only on the 5spds, and I believe that it was standard for 2002-2004. I think that it may have been an option for 05. The stock suspension is good and can be improved with simple sways and strut bars. I have autocrossed for 3 seasons and I just ran my first HPDE. I have only had one time where I experienced brake fade. The stock brakes worked great out at Thunderhill, but I only ran 20 minute sessions. I do plan on upgrading to some SS lines and some better fluid and pads. I have heard in the past from IS owners that attend HPDE on a regular basis that upgrading the brake fluid drastically reduces the chance of brake fade. I had a blast at my first HPDE. I loved passing all of the high powered sports cars that I ran with. I am sure that some people were annoyed with me and my slow Lexus.
No LSD for '05 ;)

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
I believe LSD was still offered on 05 models, but for auto tranny only & not with the 5 speed.

To check if it has LSD or not - - open the the driver's door and look at the factory door jamb sticker. Then check the numbers, example: B02A, B02B, B02C

--If the last letter is "B" or "C" then it has LSD.
--If the last letter is "A" then it doesn't have LSD.

Hope that helps. GL.

·
Registered
941 Posts
2 JZ-GE said:
I believe LSD was still offered on 05 models, but for auto tranny only & not with the 5 speed.

To check if it has LSD or not - - open the the driver's door and look at the factory door jamb sticker. Then check the numbers, example: B02A, B02B, B02C

--If the last letter is "B" or "C" then it has LSD.
--If the last letter is "A" then it doesn't have LSD.

Hope that helps. GL.
Yep, that's what I meant... ;)

LSD for E-shift only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts