1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.
1. How much is the M3 going for, MSRP?

2. When will it be available?

3. How many M3's are going to be available for the 2001 model? Will it be impossible to get one after the first model is sold?

4. Do you expect it to be hard to obtain for the 2002 model as well?

5. How much do you think dealers will add to the price of the M3?

6. Is there any news that Lexus going to build a M3-like car?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
m3 is right below $50k
available after new years
almost impossible to get one now
2002 convertibles will be available

[This message has been edited by Lexus_IS300 (edited November 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I'm not sure about the M3's MSRP however the dealer I went to on Sunday told me that they are all sold out of the M3 for the rest of the model year. I would only assume the same for most dealers. My suggestion to you if you really want the car: Get on a waiting list. I'm certain there is already one for the 2002 model.

Originally posted by Juggaknot:
Ok.

3. How many M3's are going to be available for the 2001 model? Will it be impossible to get one after the first model is sold?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Ok.

i believe just under 50, but out the door arond 55k

january

5000 coupes have been assigned to the US i believe, it will be easier to get one in 2002 than 2001

not as hard, but there will probably be a wait

they range from nothing to 10k

lexus doesn't stand a chance.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:

lexus doesn't stand a chance.

That answer does not make any sense whatsoever.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crontab, wat're u trying to say? there is going to be a lexus m3?

oh yeah and when is the 2002 going to be available?

[This message has been edited by Juggaknot (edited November 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
From all the magazines, the base price is $45000, although they are dealers here in Orange County and Riverside County that are asking for $60K. Just the premium you pay to be the first one to own an E46 M3.

As far as Lexus M3 contender is concerned, I highly doubt Lexus will want to do that yet. I will bet more on a M5 contender than a car that will be competing with M3 since IS is a relatively new car. I belive the Aristo is capable of challenging the M5 once it is tuned by TRD.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
crontab, wat're u trying to say? there is going to be a lexus m3?

oh yeah and when is the 2002 going to be available?

[This message has been edited by Juggaknot (edited November 14, 2000).]
I have no idea if there will be an M3 competitor from lexus. What I am saying is that mrclam's answer was of a different context than what your question was asking. Or it was incomplete. You asked if lexus will make a m3-ish car. Mrclam said lexus has no chance. No chance to compete with an m3? No chance of making a m3-ish car? No chance of what?

I also have no idea when the 2002 m3 will come out, but I would assume that it would be 0ct' 2001.

-crontab -e

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
lexus can make an m3 competitor, but the chances that it will be any serious competition are slim. bmw has been in this game much longer and has much more engine and suspension prowess

·
Registered
541 Posts
I can see Lexus building an M3 or M5-like prototype or race car. But would they ever produce them for the masses? Probably not...considering the self-imposed ~300 hp limit that Japanese auto manufacturers currently abide by.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
that limit is rarely followed these days. all the japanese cars are becoming more and more underrated. etiher way, lexus/toyota doesn't have the engine technology or experience that they'll need to build such a car to compete with the m3 right now. if they built up to it i'm sure they could, but bmw has a pretty firm position with performance.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
The limit is supposed to be 280, but it probably was never followed...c'mon I doubt that every single supercar they make makes 280. I once read that "the Japanese tell damnable lies about horsepower" because their top cars are seriously underrated.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
that limit is rarely followed these days. all the japanese cars are becoming more and more underrated. etiher way, lexus/toyota doesn't have the engine technology or experience that they'll need to build such a car to compete with the m3 right now. if they built up to it i'm sure they could, but bmw has a pretty firm position with performance.
Can you go into more detail as to why you think that Toyota has no chance to compete right now?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
when's the last time toyota built a supercar? the supra yes? the supra was awesome because it was turbocharged. if toyota takes the turbo route of course they can build a good competitor but i've yet to see a good N/A engine out of toyota paired up with a manual tranny in a real sports car. and in the other post about honda/toyota i think it's quite obvious that toyota is not even up to honda's level yet.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I'm guessing you mean a regular ol' car that we got here in the US. But...their LeMans car was brutally fast and was considered one of the best in the field. Toyota also has done quite well for themselves in rally competition. And the Altezza engine is a 4 banger that makes 210 HP out of 2.0L and is mated to a 6 speed. No turbo, no supercharger, no boost whatsoever. What if they applied the tech to a larger displacement engine? Makes you wonder about the possibilites doesn't it?

[This message has been edited by HIBBoyScott (edited November 15, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Correction, Toyota didn't design and construct the Altezza RS engine, Yamaha did.
If Yamaha and Toyota team up again, then yes, there can be a good N/A engine out there to maybe challenge the M3. Toyota alone, not a chance (despite how much I like TRD, they suck compare to the other engine manufacturers, just look at their CART effort).
Anyway, don't expect Toyota to do something right now, they need to focus their mind on crushing the 3-series empire. After that, then they can go ahead and challenge the M3, M5, and the rest of the supercars.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Well Toyota has stake in Yamaha, and Toyota and Yamaha have a long history of cooperation. I was reading about their CART stuff on Supraforums...lots of arguments about it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
That's why I don't understand why Toyota is not asking Yamaha to develop a new engine for them. How old are these Toyota engines now besides the V8's? If Toyota wants to remind the best in the business in Japan, and maybe eventually challenge for that best of the world title, then they got to get their act together and develop some new engines.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts