Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive posted this in the suspension section but dont know if its ezactly related

- Shifty driving on the highway. The car seems to track from side to side while driving at high speeds

- When going over any type of bump (speed bump, rough road, or any rough terrain) my steering wheel has a mind of its own.

- When slowing down to a stop, sometimes the steering wheel will start to turn itself - sometimes left, sometimes right -and the car follows.

- Mostly at idle or moving with my foot not on gas or brake (ex. fast food drive thru) There is a vibration in the car. I can mimic the vibration by turning my steering wheel left or right.

Ok so ive taken the car to numerous dealerships and all they do is basically try and sell me a 90k service which ive done. My only mods are bilstein struts and prokit springs.

Also back in august i had the ignition cylinder replaced. In the invoice lexus recomended a new steering column. Could that be one of my problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^ Thanks for the comment chinaman, At a stop the wheel doesnt move, its when im coming to stop the wheel turns anyway it wants to.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Check your tires and allignment. After lowering a car this could happen if the front is all out of wack.

Common is300 issues stock with the pulling, nobody has solved this and more Canadian is300 owners have complained about this vs us spec models.

Check the tires, my car does this everytime my tires are toast and need to be replaced. Check the install on the lowering equip and go from there. Also check tire preasure and if all the bolts in the suspension are torqued down to spec.

Hope any of this helps
D

·
Registered
609 Posts
What kind of tires do you have? I had a problem similar to this when the inside tire wall separated. Keep in mind these were not on an IS, and they weren't great tires.

I think some other people already called the biggies like tie rod ends, ball joints, etc...Best thing to do is jack the car up and attempt to move each wheel in and out from side to side and top to bottom. This will help you determine if/where the slack is. If you don't find any slack in the front, check the rears as well. Just do one at the time. Also, check your tires for uneven wear-signs of poor alignment and correct tire pressure. A severely overinflated tire can do all sorts of funny things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts