Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several years ago, Italian carrozzeria Fioravanti built the Vola convertible concept car. While not particularly attractive, it had a VERY clever retractable hardtop convertible with a difference: instead of fully retracting into the trunk (and consuming most of the trunk space), the roof over the driver & passenger rotates up and backwards (roughly 180 degrees) and falls OVER the trunk lid, thus preserving full trunk capacity with the top up OR down.

Fioravanti's clever idea has now incorporated an electrochromic glass top with 5 available tint levels, and will see very limited production in Ferrari's new, 575 Maranello-based Superamerica.

http://www.autoindex.org/news.plt?no=983&nl=y#

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wilddave said:
neat engineering, but still kind of odd looking...
I agree. I do feel relieved, however, that the Ferrari doesn't have the round external earmuff-like circles in the C-pillars that the Fioravanti Vola has.

wilddave said:
good post! i will give you some rep points.
Thank you! :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Pretty good idea...however...

What if a bird poops on the window when its "retracted" on the trunk. Then when you go to turn glass over to use it as a roof again, then the poo is on the inside?! Haha

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JDMIS300 said:

What if a bird poops on the window when its "retracted" on the trunk. Then when you go to turn glass over to use it as a roof again, then the poo is on the inside?! Haha
:lol: :lol: :lol: Excellent observation! I hadn't realized that!

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
JDMIS300 said:

hahaha.... wonder what made u think of that tho... maybe Ferrari could use u as a design consultant on bird-poo related issues :lol:

neat concept tho :)

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts