Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I searched but couldn't find any relevant threads on this topic I tried shaved vs rolled fenders, pros/cons rolled fenders, rolled fenders, shaved fenders, fender rolling, fenders shaving.

I am just curious but which is better to roll or shave the fenders for wide aftermarket rims/tire. I figured to post here since it deals with the exterior of the car. MODS feel free to move where applicable.

·
1,334 Posts

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Hahah typical. One guy says shave, another says roll. I say stop obsessing over your offset/wheel gap and just leave it and drive your car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks mikedtrd for the threads and thank you all for your opinons

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had shaved fenders on my previous is300 and have rolled fenders on my s2000 now. I say rolling the fender is by far safer. I rolled my fenders without ever seeing how to do it and they came out perfectly...

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Shaving is lazy and causes several safety issues. Rolling needs to be done properly with heat to avoid paint cracking.
+1. Don't mistake good luck with ease.

·
Maverick
1,472 Posts

Funny.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Shaving does not cause safety issues. The problem is most people have no clue how to actually shave a fender correctly.

You dont just grab a cutting wheel and start going to town on it. You should make sure you never go past the welds, always knock down any sharp edges and coat the final edge with a sealant and then put a rubber, plastic, or some sort of cover on it.

With MANY MANY cars done i shave them and i even own a fender roller. If you do it right you get better results and you take no risk at cracking your paint or bending anything.

Both methods do the same thing one is just easier and has less risk to damaging your car.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
After I was done shaving and sanding my fenders, I painted them with touch-up paint, and then brushed on some rubberized undercoating.

OKCIS, would there be a problem with going past the welds (say down to 1/4"), and then having the fender spot welded to prevent separation? My concern is that the visible paint might get damaged.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Shaving does not cause safety issues. The problem is most people have no clue how to actually shave a fender correctly.

You dont just grab a cutting wheel and start going to town on it. You should make sure you never go past the welds, always knock down any sharp edges and coat the final edge with a sealant and then put a rubber, plastic, or some sort of cover on it.

With MANY MANY cars done i shave them and i even own a fender roller. If you do it right you get better results and you take no risk at cracking your paint or bending anything.

Both methods do the same thing one is just easier and has less risk to damaging your car.
and that's the truth, ruth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.