Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've got one of the tools coming and I do plan on renting it out, I wanted to gauge interest and pricing from those that would like to rent it...

The basic plan is to charge somewhere between $50-100 including the tool, heat gun and round-trip shipping (return label will be in the box). I'd have to charge a deposit up front, then credit the deposit minus fee when the tool returns (pretty standard).

Several people have emailed me already to "get in line", but I just wanted to get an idea of the interest and demand for this item. Judging by my own research (in trying to rent one!), demand is high with a four-five month waiting list.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If i dont find someone to do it by then, i would be interested... Fair pricing and procedure... I need some rolls!!!! :crazy:

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wino, quit scaring everyone off! But yes, MOST body shops won't do it (at least from my informal survey of many shops in my area). But if you take your time and keep the paint warm and use the right tool, your chances of success are much, much higher.

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enevel12 said:
Yes, most shops won't/don't do it, cause they view it as a hassle and not enough business for doing so.
Right. A) It's a liability and probably not very profitable. B) They're busy doing lucrative insurance/collision repairs...

·
Registered
474 Posts
webmaster said:
Enevel12 said:
Yes, most shops won't/don't do it, cause they view it as a hassle and not enough business for doing so.
Right. A) It's a liability and probably not very profitable. B) They're busing doing lucrative insurance/collision repairs...
Exactly. The guy who's doing mine said he doesn't do this stuff anymore, because it's not worth his time financially (at least if its done right), and of course the liability too. He's doing mine as a favor cause a firend of mine got some collision work done with him.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Tony,

You know I want on the list if I can get it by March. If not, I will be using the baseball bat method. Only because that's when my car will be ready to go and the wheels won't even fit unless the fenders are rolled. I will be painting the whole car in my shop so the paint chipping doesn't effect me.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
thats a good price Tony, and you will probably make a good amount of money renting that thing out.

DT Motorwerks here in Dallas will do it, but I believe they charge about $300.

I am going with the baseball bat method myself. We'll see how it works

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
10secondIS said:
thats a good price Tony, and you will probably make a good amount of money renting that thing out.

DT Motorwerks here in Dallas will do it, but I believe they charge about $300.

I am going with the baseball bat method myself. We'll see how it works
DT did mine, but it was much less than $300. I want to say $150??
I can't remember exactly...when I get home, I'll look at the receipt.

Tony - I think it's a cool idea! 8)

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I did my fenders today. I completely and totally screwed up one fender. I did the second one, however, perfectly.

IS300 paint sucks nuts. You have to be VERY careful. You must go VERY slow with VERY small increment in tightening the roller. You must keep the paint warm with the heat gun. Then you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Tony, when you say that you really screwed one fender up, did you mean the paint chipped? You didn't screw up the shape of the fender, correct?

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
doodlebug said:
Tony, when you say that you really screwed one fender up, did you mean the paint chipped? You didn't screw up the shape of the fender, correct?
Yes. That's what I meant. I chipped quite a bit of paint. The shape of the fender is fine - no problems there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.