Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased an Autotap at www.autotap.com

And I hooked it up to a test IS300 yesterday.
The only thing I was able to do, was to see that the car was not throwing any error codes.

I was under the impression I could read things like engine speed, car speed, fuel trim and other stuff.

Aside from error codes, what sorts of things do the rest of you have access to on your OBDII scan and logging tools?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I got the same one a couple weeks ago...only thing it did was scan the codes...although, I wasn't able to start my car to check the other charts.

It didn't have a lot of special functions that it detected...you should be able to see rpm, speed, etc..

There is a menu, where you call pull down select the style chart you want...and then add the type of data you want it to display.

I got the autotap, but I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra $50 to get the other companies that I was thinking about...seemed nicer, but I can't imagine "generica odb2" scanners are different amonst companies.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
mattssi said:
I got the same one a couple weeks ago...only thing it did was scan the codes...although, I wasn't able to start my car to check the other charts.

It didn't have a lot of special functions that it detected...you should be able to see rpm, speed, etc..

There is a menu, where you call pull down select the style chart you want...and then add the type of data you want it to display.

I got the autotap, but I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra $50 to get the other companies that I was thinking about...seemed nicer, but I can't imagine "generica odb2" scanners are different amonst companies.
I think ODB2 standardized fault codes industry wide. I think thats what seperated OBD1 (pre 96) from OBD2 (96+) Anyone confirm?

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mattssi said:

I was pulling the gauges and trying to get something...anything on the screens. The reason I chose autotap was because you can customize the charts to whatever you want...you can also customize color of the charts so it's easier to differentiate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The basic sensors should be standard so you should be able to see speed, load, rpm, timing, air temp, o2 voltages, long term and short term fuel trims and a couple other things.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
going4boost said:
The basic sensors should be standard so you should be able to see speed, load, rpm, timing, air temp, o2 voltages, long term and short term fuel trims and a couple other things.
Do you know of any obd-ii laptop software that will let you view all of these things? I am in the market for one, but haven't done any research yet. I am willing to spend up to $500 or so, but I am sick of having to borrow my friend's actual OBD-II diagnostic tester, as it is a very expensive unit and I don't want to have to keep bothering him for it.

-C

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
doublins said:
going4boost said:
Do you know of any obd-ii laptop software that will let you view all of these things? I am in the market for one, but haven't done any research yet. I am willing to spend up to $500 or so, but I am sick of having to borrow my friend's actual OBD-II diagnostic tester, as it is a very expensive unit and I don't want to have to keep bothering him for it.

-C
THe autotap claims to do so...it's about $150. They do have "toyota specialized" version (I can't remember the damn company) that will read specialized toyota transmission codes and parameters for extra $$$

http://www.autotap.com/autotap_for_windows.html

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
"Generic" parameters:

http://www.autotap.com/generic_parameters.asp

A/C System Refrigerant Monitoring Status
Auxiliary Input Status
Catalyst Monitoring Status
Comprehensive Component Monitoring Status
ECT
EGR System Monitoring Status
Engine Load
Engine Load
Engine Speed
EVAP Vent Solenoid Command
Evaporative System Monitoring Status
Fuel Pressure
Fuel System Monitoring Status
Fuel System Status Bank 1
Heated Catalyst Monitoring Status
IAT
Ignition Timing
LTFT B1
LTFT B2
MAF
MAP
Misfire Monitoring Status
O2 Sensor - B1S1
O2 Sensor - B1S1 (mV)
O2 Sensor - B1S2
O2 Sensor - B1S2 (mV)
O2 Sensor - B1S3
O2 Sensor - B1S4
O2 Sensor - B2S1
O2 Sensor - B2S2
O2 Sensor - B2S3
O2 Sensor - B2S4
OBD Requirements
Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring Status
Oxygen Sensor Monitoring Status
Secondary Air System Monitoring Status
STFT B1
STFT B2
Throttle Position
Vehicle Speed

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
doublins said:
going4boost said:

-C
As soon as I get a laptop up and running I'll be able to tell you if these things work.

I bought the autotap for the software. It allows you set the range on your sensors and change colors for different sensors. That way you can see things easily and at a glance. You can set warnings, chart and log your readings as well.

However...I still have yet to get it to work. (Have no laptop)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the pocketlogger.com that does that all those parameters and a few more. The autotap sophie linked too looks more robust.

I can log my wideband on my palm so I figured I might as well get a OBD scanner on it too.

doublins said:
going4boost said:

-C

·
Registered
713 Posts
I got that cheap one off ebay for 50 and it works great.
It only tells you the codes and clears them if you want.
Thats all i wanted so its cool.
Its also so small, I just keep it in my glove box in case
something happens.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Neo302 said:
I got that cheap one off ebay for 50 and it works great.
It only tells you the codes and clears them if you want.
Thats all i wanted so its cool.
Its also so small, I just keep it in my glove box in case
something happens.
Yeah, i wanted more than that.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
doublins said:
going4boost said:

-C
You need the Ease Software. http://www.obd2.com/personal/personal_toyota2.htm
It's what we use, and it is the best besides the Dealer tool. We got the Toyota Enhanced Business package, it was $595.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
TBKO said:
doublins said:
going4boost said:

-C
You need the Ease Software. http://www.obd2.com/personal/personal_toyota2.htm
It's what we use, and it is the best besides the Dealer tool. We got the Toyota Enhanced Business package, it was $595.
Thats the one I was talking about!!!

I was told the toyota enhanced things gives taylored codes for the transmission n stuff though, nothing really engine related. Eh, still sweet.

Their regular package was like $250, the autotap is $150..yet I didn't see any differences in their description.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
doublins said:

-C

Hey Chris. I got it workin tonight. Seems I can get more functions...the ones I thought I could.

The cool things that autotap lets you do.

Take for example engine speed.
You can set different colors and different style graphs.
You can set say 0-3000RPM as blue, then 3000-6000 as pink.
You can then set 6000+ as Yellow and set the background to flash black and play a wav file for an alarm.

The desktop area can be saved...so your gauge settings can just load up in a snap and all your preferable sensors will be in the same format as you left them.

You can also chart the sensor readings and graph them. Very VERY cool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts