Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 sp manual and 18" wheel for 2002 are great news but does anybody know if power will be increased? Lexus needs to get the IS manual into the low 6 seconds for 0-60.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Here's my take on the NEW 2002 IS. When I was at the LA auto show, I saw the new manual IS, it is nice, red, 18's, gps, lowered, and of course 5-spd. I looked at the specs, and the 0-60 time was 6.5 sec. NICE!!!!!!!!! However our autos. are 7.1. Difference of .6 sec., that's it .6 sec????????? The bigger picture is the gear ratio in the tranny.

They didn't list the gear ratio between 1st, 2nd etc. am i to assume that the first 3 gears will be close-ratio, and 4th is a longer gear, then of course 5th is overdrive.

Really if you think about it, literally the car is the same, except the tranny.

To sweeten the deal they added the gps, 18's and lowered the car. So there charging for all the upgrades, and the tranny. I was hoping for MORE performance.

Don't mean to start any flames, but i had to put my .02 cents worth. Still love my 2k1 IS.


------------------
Yellow IS300 w/LSD and graphite polished rims
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
No, the car is not the same! When you perchase manual version, you get a guy named manuel in the trunk!! Also I just heard the news about a guy named weagons that comes with IS wagon.


------------------
K.P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Originally posted by Rookie84:
No, the car is not the same! When you perchase manual version, you get a guy named manuel in the trunk!! Also I just heard the news about a guy named weagons that comes with IS wagon.


hahaha...good one...
wats up wit all these manuels and weagons anywayz??

late
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts


Originally posted by Rookie84:
No, the car is not the same! When you perchase manual version, you get a guy named manuel in the trunk!! Also I just heard the news about a guy named weagons that comes with IS wagon.



------------------
Yellow IS300 w/LSD and graphite polished rims
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
.6 seconds difference is about what you would expect between the manual and auto.

A typical BMW will have the same difference between their two transmission choices.


Something to consider - with a manual you need to shift perfectly to get the optimal times, but with an auto you generally just floor the throttle and get the best time each and every time. Some autos need power braking on launch, but with good low end torque like the IS300 the full throttle launch is probably going to produce the best times (for the auto).

Anyways - my point is that with the auto you still might have a chance against the manual if the manual driver blows a shift.

The manual is definately what you want if you are trying to control acceleration and engine braking on twisty mountain roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I think the improvement on the manual will be about 6.8. I say this because one of the other posters here mentioned how Lexus and other car manufacturers pad their performance numbers. I think that's true with the auto IS and also with the LS430. They seem to be about .3 off of what they claim compared to their reviews. For example, Lexus claimed the IS in 7.1 but it's more like 7.4 and the LS the claimed 6.3 and it's more like 6.6.

------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,544 Posts
civic Si-r: lexus has always been claiming the auto IS300 at 7.1 in 0-60

------------------
'01 IS300
'91 NSX
'95 Maxima

[From TEG: Actually they started out by saying 7.1, but then I saw them show 7.5 elsewhere. At the IStour driving event I saw 7.5 posted there.]


[This message has been edited by TEG (edited January 19, 2001).]
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Most manual transmissions have taller gear ratios than the auto versions, likely true for Lexus. It'll probably be a 0.5-0.6 sec faster time with taller gears, and correspondingly better gas mileage. The 18 inch wheels may slow the car down, if they're significantly heavier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Actually some manufacturers, like BMW, publish conservative numbers.

For example, the published '01 330i 0-60mph number is 6.8s. The published 323i/325i 0-60mph number is 7.6s. The actual performance number for the 323i is ~7.1s. Guys on the BMW forum claim that they have done sub 7s in their (stock) 323i. The actual 330i performance number is more like 6.4s (if not a bit less). They also provide conservative numbers on the horsepower output. This has something to do with German government regulations and taxes placed on cars at a certain horsepower and power output rating.


Originally posted by 4yoazz:
I think the improvement on the manual will be about 6.8. I say this because one of the other posters here mentioned how Lexus and other car manufacturers pad their performance numbers. I think that's true with the auto IS and also with the LS430. They seem to be about .3 off of what they claim compared to their reviews. For example, Lexus claimed the IS in 7.1 but it's more like 7.4 and the LS the claimed 6.3 and it's more like 6.6.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
That may be true, but I never mentioned anything about BMW in my post. I can only speak from what I've seen regarding Lexus.

------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I met manuel once. He was standing outside the IS manual for a few minutes for stretching. He's a pretty helpful guy and a good travel companion.

------------------
1998 Mercedes Benz SLK230
2000 Ford Excursion Ltd. 4x4 Diesel (for the winter)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by MrEee:
Actually some manufacturers, like BMW, publish conservative numbers.

For example, the published '01 330i 0-60mph number is 6.8s. The published 323i/325i 0-60mph number is 7.6s. The actual performance number for the 323i is ~7.1s. Guys on the BMW forum claim that they have done sub 7s in their (stock) 323i. The actual 330i performance number is more like 6.4s (if not a bit less). They also provide conservative numbers on the horsepower output. This has something to do with German government regulations and taxes placed on cars at a certain horsepower and power output rating.



I've beaten plenty of 323i's. So what does that tell you about the IS300?

------------------
'01 IS300
'91 NSX
'95 Maxima
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
He's talking about 5 speed 323i/325i, the auto base 3 series is slow, like over 8 sec 0-60. Why anyone would pay $35,000 for a slow BMW is beyond me.

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:

I've beaten plenty of 323i's. So what does that tell you about the IS300?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, I think the Lexus 0-60 times are from their own test runs, and I do believe them. I remember the former LS400 did 0-60 in 6.1 in Car&driver. It's just too bad that none of the 3 major car mags here (CD, Motor trend, road&track) can't duplicate Lexus's number for the IS300. We tend to lend more credibility to what we read in those mags rather than the manufacturer's number obtained in tests we can't read about or see in pictures. But I think Lexus's numbers are just as legitimate. Also the time depend on a lot of factors such as air temperature, etc. Hopefully those mags will be able to get a good number for the manual IS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
the 5 speed will be cheaper than the auto in 02.....lexus has predicted less market for the manual is300...what can you say...its a lexus...75%+ of lexus buyers prefer auto...however, since this is their first time in the "compact" sport sedan market...i think they have mis calculated their buyer interest with the is300....

[This message has been edited by nemesiss (edited January 22, 2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Hey if it's not fast enough for you then buy the TRD Super charger that's comming out close to the end of the year. That will make it a lot faster with a so called increase of 100 HP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
One thing to consider is few if any acr mags us a third wheel to test the 0-60 times of cars. Most us a G-tech or vericom which are crap. I have drag raced for years and have actually taken passes with a vericom and seen passes with a Gtech none hae been even with .3 of second. So that is why you will see such a diffenrence in times. Lexus probably uses a third wheel but they probably lie so oh well. I actually heard a chevy engingeer say the 1999 published vet numbers were true but were obtain with knocked out cats to drop .2 of the 1/4 mile so the much cheaper z28 wasn't so close performance wise. Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
Yea but I believe the manual transmission will cut more weight than the 18's would add. Just a thought.

Originally posted by ckolsen:
Most manual transmissions have taller gear ratios than the auto versions, likely true for Lexus. It'll probably be a 0.5-0.6 sec faster time with taller gears, and correspondingly better gas mileage. The 18 inch wheels may slow the car down, if they're significantly heavier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
Yea but I believe the manual transmission will cut more weight than the 18's would add. Just a thought.

Originally posted by ckolsen:
Most manual transmissions have taller gear ratios than the auto versions, likely true for Lexus. It'll probably be a 0.5-0.6 sec faster time with taller gears, and correspondingly better gas mileage. The 18 inch wheels may slow the car down, if they're significantly heavier.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top