Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search before posting, but couldn't find anything useful. I know a fast blinking directional light gives the indication of a burnt out or troubled light, but I can't seem to find the source of my problem. I've replaced all head lamp and tail lights on the passenger side, and I'm still having the same problem. I've also checked my fuses...all appear to be fine. Occured while driving one afternoon.

Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
i BELIEVE it has something to do with the fuse, but im not 100% sure.
bhartwell59 said:
all it is is your flasher fuse.

you should be able to get one at an auto parts store

?????

I don't think so.

How many bulbs have you tried replacing?

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
considering you have ltunedgirl's old car (JDM headlights?) did you really check out ALL of the turn signal bulbs?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Ok, JBaker.... If you replaced all of your bulbs, make sure you replaced with the same type of bulb. Same current draw. If One bulb draws less current, the overall stress on the system is less and the flasher relay will open and close faster and give you this fast blinker. And also, you do know that there are 2 lights in the front headlights right? If not, double check that..

If you are using LED bulbs, this is a common problem and you need to put an inline resistor to increase the overall stress/resistance..

Onyxaltezza... dont misinform.. If a fuse is out, that cuts the electricity in the system and nothing should be working at all . If you get electricity across an open circuit, thnen you have performed witchcraft..

If ALL your bulbs are ok, then you should check your flasher RELAY. This unit could be faulty and I have seen it go bad with flashers and foglights..

If you have JDM headlights, you will get faster blinkers as the JDM lights use ONE front turn signal and not TWO.. If this is the case, place a proper value inline resistor..

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I always thought if u have a fast blinker it means your bulb is going out?

·
Dual Citizen
2,449 Posts
lexis3oo said:
What wire... if they cut one of the turn signal wires then one of the bulbs wont turn on.. right? He also said that he replaced all the bulbs on the left said and they all turn on....

PS JBAKER
the post title says:Fast blinking left turn signal, help!

And then on your post you said:

I've replaced all head lamp and tail lights on the passenger side...

Since when is the passenger side the Left side?
thats soo jokes.. lol

but seriously.. i dont got an IS but its all electronical so there really shouldn't be all that much of a difference
check the wires that are going into the housing of the bulb for your blinker on both sides, and look for some sort of a difference.. if the blinker that's blinking fast is missing a wire then you've most likely found ur problem.. however it is possible to have all the wires connected and still have a fast blinking turn signal if the wires are not in their proper places (ie. ground wire in the socket that activates the actual blinking of the light)
If everything checks out at the front end, then run to the back and do the same.. since each side is a circuit it'll blink fast the moment theres some sort of a disruption, regardless of whether it was caused at the front end or the rear
if after all that u dont find any lose/misplaced/missing wires and all the bulbs check out, then u may have a situation on ur hand
one time my headlights weren't working because the actual knob that turns them on was a little lose so it didnt have a secure connection and it cost a pretty penny to get it fixed.. personally i woulda rather just taped on some flashlights to my hood and called it a day.. :rolleyes:

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
This thread is so full of mis-information.

The only one that is correct in here is Malek and me.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Dannknee said:
i had the same problem, i think it was my battery, or something that wasnt connected. i tihnk it was a harnass somewhere... err brain fart

no... this is not a reason for turn signals to go fast. If your battery doesnt work, nothing will work...

And the dude above im sure is intelligent enough to check has harnesses... Afterall he has changed everybulb and should have checked..

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
These are the facts.
People should read this and ask questions accordingly.
Most of the info on here just plain sucked. I've deleted most of them.

1. If your blinkers are blinking fast, then it means a bulb is out.
2. If your fuse it out, your blinkers will not work at all. Fuses are either working or not. There is no middle ground.
3. Wires will not just go "missing" . If you find that a wire is missing from your turn signal harness...you have bigger problems and you should tell your girlfriend to stop messing with your car.
4. It makes no sense to switch the wires on the turn signal. One is +12V and the other is a ground. However, bulbs are not sensitive to which lead is which. You can swap the wires with no change in how a bulb functions.
5. If your battery is not connected correcty it affects your whole car. Not just your turn signals.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's some more information to clarify my setup.

The headlights and taillights are both JDM. All tail light bulbs were replaced with the proper bulbs. Eventhough there is only one directional in the JDM housing, the lights have always blinked as fast as my old IS300 with OEM heads. I do have LED's up front. The directionals only blink fast on the driver's side, so there must be something on that side that isn't correct. The flasher relay could certainly be the source of the problem. I can't imagine the relay is incredibly expensive, so I'll order a new one just to be sure.

I haven't replaced my low and high beam lamps however. They seem to be working properly though, but who knows, they could be multi filament bulbs in which case one of the filaments went bad.

Thanks everyone for your help. Nice to see a quick response from .NET members.

·
Banned
468 Posts
on my altezza they all blinked super fast and none were out.
it looks cool :)

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
umm okay, how was i wrong?

jbaker, how did ltunedgirl fix the wiring for the second turn signal bulb in the front? just because there is only one in the housing, did you forget to check the "other" bulb?

also, LED "replacement" bulbs usually cause problems because they don't draw enough current.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
irv, I'm not claiming you were wrong at all. Actually, you pose a good question regarding the second turn signal bulb that's not in the housing. I think I'll give Shauna a call and see if she can help diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Wait, you have LED bulbs? Like Irv said, LEDs doen't put the same load on the system as regular bulbs, hence the car thinks the bulb is out. You may need a resistor to simulate the load.

You can find one of those here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
FYI: They also have a replacement relay designed for LEDs too. I just saw that.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
JBAKER said:
irv, I'm not claiming you were wrong at all. Actually, you pose a good question regarding the second turn signal bulb that's not in the housing. I think I'll give Shauna a call and see if she can help diagnose the problem.
haha, i didn't make myself clear. i was responding above to the misinformation post that sophiesleeps made.

if i remember correctly she left the extra turn signal bulbs somewhere in the engine compartment. most likely one of those blew out.

also don't forget my previous post about the led bulbs drawing less current.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts