Lexus IS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
caymandiver75 said:
No, the car was just strapped onto the dyno and run multiple times with back to back consistent readings lower than my baseline, which was about 4 weeks previous. Finally we decided to add a second fan and that immediately brought the power back up to my baseline level. No air temps or fuel trims were measured.

I gotta say, if you didn't record the data, you can't say for sure if it was due to the temps... you can determine a relation between the fan position and power, but that doesn't demonstrate cause.

It may very well be caused by temps, but there is no hard evidence to prove that for sure.

I don't know if anyone noticed when I asked what was weird about the 350 dyno graphs that were posted, but the 350 ECU is tuning to 13:1 AFR @ WOT, as opposed to 12:1 for the 300. If the intake is indeed going to "learn" these mods, you should be able to see it in not only a dyno, but by watching timing, fuel trims, and AFR (effect of mods/trims). We might see AFR jump to 13.5:1 as soon as it is installed, then back down to 13:1 as it "learns" the mod. Or you might see it drop to 12.5, then climb back up to 13. Or it might never climb. Or it might pull timing.

There's no way to know what the heck is going on until we record that data.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
I almost forgot... :p

Two Better pictures of the SAMPLE GunMetal Gray Intake Finish...

I love this look!!!

Joe Z :p

Attachments

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Final DYNO TEST Results for the 2006 IS 350 & IS 250

OK so today we finally had the IS350 Final Dyno testing completed..
The results are exactly what I expected...

You will not be disappointed if you Install this Intake Pipe on your IS250 or IS350... I Promise!! :p

I would like to THANK again Andy (hogchow) and SP Engineering for all their involvement, time and effort that went into this entire process!! :)
Also a Big Thanks goes to "dasgalloway" for helping me a long the way with a lot of tips and info I used for collecting the data!!

**Both IS's were Dyno Jet tested. With a 5% load.
**Base run was done 1st and then shut down for approx. 15-25 mins for intake swap.
**Then Dyno tested again with just the Intake pipe installed.
**OEM filter was clean for both cars and remained in place.
**Also, there was NO ECU resetting between runs.
**Both cars had the VDIM disabled, via the "secret code"!
**Both cars were DYNO'd up to 4th gear ONLY.
**Both cars were DYNO'd with cooling fan in same exact loaction during every acutal Dyno Run; pics taken may show different locations.

Below: The IS350 DYNO tested very well today (5/1/2006).
It was a warmer day compared to the last Dyno day.
This time around the tech did very well in dyno'ing the Auto and we did some great pulls with out any downshifting and/or heat soaking issues..

DYNO Jet Graphs are SAE Corrected

IS 350 Black
6 Speed Auto - 4,959 miles

THIS IS THE SAME IS350 WE USED IN THE FIRST DYNO TESTING DONE ON 3/9/2006

Base Run
Max Power 265.8 Max Torque 241.7

w/ Joe Z Intake Pipe Installed
Max Power 269.7 Max Torque 245.4

Gains
Max Power = 4 RWHP
Max Torque = 3.7

Measurement of percentage of Factory Rated Base HP (306) to Dyno Tested Base RWHP (265) was an approx. 14% loss to the wheels.

Just to be clear the graph comparison shoud be viewed from 4,900 Rpms and UP.....

data from page 1

Below: The IS250 DYNO went very well on 3/9/2006
The fact that it was manual helped a lot!! Also, it was able to cool down once it got off the FWY, and waiting for the IS350 to complete Dyno testing. Also, it was driven for a week in base trim. So our base numbers were good. When we swaped the intake the new numbers were even better!

DYNO Jet Graphs are SAE Corrected

IS 250 White
6speed Manual - 4,401 miles

Base Run
Max Power 173.3 Max Torque 162.5

w/Joe Z Intake Installed
Max Power 179.3 Max Torque 168.1

Gains
Max Power = 6 RWHP
Max Torque = 5.6

Measurement of percentage of Factory Rated Base HP (204) to Dyno tested Base RWHP (173) was an approx. 15% loss to the wheels.

Some more installed pictures...

That is all for tonight....!!! :cool:

Thank You
Joe Z :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Joe, the results look good and as expected! :) Too bad you can't measure throttle response on the dyno because that is where I feel most of the difference. I should also be getting my black sleeves tonight, which will replace the blue ones I currently have on your intake pipe kit. I'm looking forward to getting on the dyno again in a week or so to see what kind of results I'll get with several hundred miles on the car. This should be plenty of time for the ECU to have adjusted itself for the intake pipe upgrade (D-AFI).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Looks like the automatic tranny is more efficient than the manual tranny with only a 14% loss :).

·
Registered
534 Posts
car_lost said:
those are peak power numbers, right?

is that the biggest gain throughout the whole dyno?
Yeah he is advertising peak numbers, but looking at the graphs, the biggest gain is about 8-10 both hp and tq from 5000-6000 rpms and 2-3 more from 6000-6500rpms! That is pretty darn impressive for just an intake pipe replacement that smoothes out airflow and gets rid of the resonator. :) I have a feeling that if there was a way to dyno below 5000rpms we would be seeing even more of an improvement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Intake ?

Nice work. What i would love to see is the lms intake and this put to the test on the same dyno so we can put to rest the differences in the gains of each product !!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Mrbig said:
Nice work. What i would love to see is the lms intake and this put to the test on the same dyno so we can put to rest the differences in the gains of each product !!!
Same car, same dyno I assume? I tested the LMS intake on my car and it made less power then my baseline on the same dyno until i added a second fan, which brought the power back up to baseline numbers. I'm going to dyno the JOEZ in a few weeks and see how it does. I really expect different results with the JOEZ because it doesn't suck in hot engine bay air.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Looks good with the black sleeves. I am picking one up!

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
car_lost said:
Any sources for good quality black silicone sleeves?
Yes.. !!

Starting this weekend, Black Silicone Sleeves are now an option..
:bigSmile:

Thank You
Joe Z

Attachments

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
car_lost said:
thnakzzz joezzzzzzzzzzzzz youre the f**kin man
No problem!!! :p

·
Registered
534 Posts
I scheduled a dyno for Saturday. Saturday is a dyno meet and I'll be on the dyno right after an EVO and just before a G35. I'm sure there will be tons of people there, so I can only hope I make good power that day unlike when I had my LMS intake dyno. I'll post the results saturday after the event along with a video or 2. Dyno meet details.. go here

DYNO Meet

Cheers!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey Joe, Just wondering if you are going to put out a few gunmetal color 250 pipings. I really like the gunmetal and want to purchase one! :bigSmile:

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
IS_TruceFizzle said:
Hey Joe, Just wondering if you are going to put out a few gunmetal color 250 pipings. I really like the gunmetal and want to purchase one! :bigSmile:
Yes.. Its in the works for sure!!

The ETA for the option would be once the next production batch is completed..
I would say hopefully in a month or two.. :p

Thank you
Joe Z

121 - 140 of 171 Posts