Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone heard the fan under the hood will always turn on for few second?? Is that normal??

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
HAS ANYONE HEARD THE FAN UNDER THE HOOD, ALWAYS TURN ON FOR A FEW SECONDS?

i don't own an IS, YET, but if the 2j motor is like the 7m, which i am pretty sure it is, then the fan will automatically start up with the motor, until its clutch moderates it. the clutch in the fan controls its speed by using the rotational inertia it creates. kinda like how a seat belt works, it only is supposed to lock up when it is pulled fast, and the rotational inertia pulls out pins to lock the sprockets inside.

Originally posted by TRD 300:

Does anyone heard the fan under the hood will always turn on for few second?? Is that normal??

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think the IS300 is different.

Is seems to have 2 electric fans that are not clutched to the engine.

There must be some temp sensors and/or ECU that decide when to turn those fans on/off...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
I think the IS300 is different.

Is seems to have 2 electric fans that are not clutched to the engine.

There must be some temp sensors and/or ECU that decide when to turn those fans on/off...
I believe one fan is turned on by the coolant temperature sensor mounted on the radiator.

Air-condition compressor (when turned on) will cause both fans to run......(I believe)

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
usually the coolant sensors are on the thermostat housing, i wish i could run out and check, but there is no 2jzge sitting in the driveway, anyone want to verify this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts