Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys prefer? Having a family of cars or having a number of cars with individual looks.

As we all know Lexus is going for the family of cars theme now. The GS and IS have similar styling... the new LS has it to. And it's going to work it's way towards the whole line up as time progresses. (the SC is next)

Originally Lexus cars had their own looks. This probably is because they were just rebadged JDM Toyotas... and when those Toyota's were created... a family look wasn't a goal of the designers.

I kinda like having a "family" of cars... BMW also does this where the styling comes out on the 7-series... and eventually migrates down the line. But I also like having cars with individual personalities.

Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I can't really decide. I like them both. It seems that the family image is more common with luxury cars than it is with regular cars. I think BMW has done their line very well and it works well for them. I think Lexus needs that family image too.

But you look at Ford or Dodge there is less of a family trend between the cars. Dodge is getting more of a family image thanks to being part of the DaimlerChrysler group, but they didn't used to have an image. Just my idea.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
I think that the family look is good to an extent. I think the car makers should use design cues that keep the cars related and obviously from the same manufacturer, but they should also have plenty of cues that establish a car as being different from the rest of the line.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd have to say having a number of cars with individual looks (reason why I drive an IS300 =0). Having a family of cars with slightly different body types and sizes works for some companies (BMW) but I thought Lexus had a little niche there with some individuality between cars. I know little to nothing about BMWs but whenever I see a 750 (and hypothetically saying that I could afford it hehe) I usually say to myself ... "why not save yourself the $20,000 and just get a 525?" instead of saying "wow there goes a BMW750!" Bottomline is, they don't catch my eye the way they used to. Moreover, BMWs are a dime a dozen here in South Florida. Just my 2 cents =0.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I prefer the individual look because it is more original and to me it makes me think they actually put time into the design of each car instead of whipping out the cookie cutter and changing a few creases here or there.

Having said that, I do understand the point of the family image and with the exception of the new BMW design, I have found the family design of the major brands in the past (so old bmw, MB, Audi) is nice but again, I prefer the creativity of diff looking models. The good thing with Lexus is that the IS design is sweet and the rumoured 07 LS design looks just as sweet so IMO at least they have hit a homerun with their design choice but they do need to tweak the GS because I dont like the currently look of it...I think changing the ass end of it would help.

Peoples' children of different age dont look basically the exact same so neither should cars. heh.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I remember reading about how Lexus still wasn't up to par with the Euro manufacturers because their cars had no characteristic that was shared among one another.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Its kind of sad when you look at Porsche, BMW, MB, and AUDI and realize that all the cars look EXACTLY the same (minus a few trim diff and engine output) and they ALL come in small, medium, and large/ or slow, mdoerate, and fast. How F'ing boring is that! That is not original, thats lame ass lazy design development! I can't stand those three car companies, and what makes me sick is that they succeed doing so soley based on the name brand.

Look at GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc....every single car is VERY VERY different, and I like that, I hope Lexus does not fall into the sm, med, larg category like the other three- but It appears that way to me so far.

~Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts