Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else experience an issue with their trunk lid not staying in the upright position and falling ? I have an IS300

On various occassions, I have hit the trunk release button on the keyfob which releases the trunk lid (which no longer goes up halfway like when the car was brand new) and when I lift the lid open, it does not always stay open by itself. It is even worse on an incline or a slight wind. The trunk lid will come crashing down and if I get caught under it ... ouch ! it's already caused a couple of arm bruises.

Called Lexus last year and they claim that it's because the car is getting old.

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
a few years back i installed some air struts in the trunk so that it'll automatically open, and also so that people wouldn't SLAM it shut.

there were a few threads about this back in '06, '07. the struts that fit the trunk perfectly were from an older toyota model (can't remember which), and it took a little work to install, but its AWESOME. pop the trunk and it opens by itself.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Do you have a spoiler on your trunk? If you do and if it was installed after-market then the torsion bars are too weak to hold it up, i.e. the bars should have been replaced too at that time...

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
And what might the part number for the new bar (for trunks with spoilers) be?

·
Registered
6,431 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
o wow

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
My trunk never opened more than a few inches. With the L-tuned spoiler, it barely moves at all. I didn't bother to install the "spoiler version" of the torsion bars.

·
Registered
469 Posts
same here...though it would be nice if it would pop up all the way. Oh well no biggie...

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
maybe you should call NHTSA and claim the trunk lid closed out of control and hit your arm. Perhaps Lexus would then initiate a stop sales and a recall. And then Wolf Blitzer would accuse Lexus of dragging their feet on CNN in the "Situation Room".
lol... somebody must be feeling some extra stress at work these days... :lol:

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
My trunk lid doesn't have problems staying open... but it used to swing fully open and now doesn't lift at all.

Is it a big deal (difficult) to install new tension bars?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have a spoiler on your trunk? If you do and if it was installed after-market then the torsion bars are too weak to hold it up, i.e. the bars should have been replaced too at that time...
Yep, have a spoiler but it came with the car straight from Lexus ... so that means that Toyota should have upgraded the torsion bars on such models ... if they did upgrade them, then they don't last very long ...

Lexus Customer Service is a joke ... the customer service rep asked me if I had a spoiler on the trunk because that could be the issue ... I told him, yes, it came standard on the car ... he went silent ... tries to blame the spoiler and then realizes that it was factory installed ... just plain dumb ...

Yeah, maybe there should be a recall on this too ... LOL ...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yep, have a spoiler but it came with the car straight from Lexus ... so that means that Toyota should have upgraded the torsion bars on such models ... if they did upgrade them, then they don't last very long ...
Silly Qs perhaps: what model year is your car, did you buy it new and was it like that since you bought it? If it is a recent buy and is new and was like that since new, I'd suggest that you go to the dealership you bought it at and ask for replacement of the bars. If you got it used or it got worse over time then check if it is still under warranty and if it would be covered...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.