Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't recall when the last time my horn worked, but it did. I failed inspection this morning for a busted horn. Damn ... my alarm works but I understand that uses a different horn. I checked the fuse and it looks fine, I even replaced it w/ one of the spares. I'm not sure how one would go about checking the relay fuse. I assume this is the black block? I went to my local autozone and they didn't have it in stock. $65 they told me. Ouch!

I looked on rockauto and they have it for $6, why the huge price difference? I wonder if I'm looking at the same thing. Anyways, what else besides a bad fuse/relay should I be worried about? I have an appt w/ the stealer in a few weeks but I'm sure they're going to charge me an arm and a leg to get it fixed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bad ground? i know when i relocated my horns because i went with a mesh grille, i didnt use a lock washer at first; so it would get loose. since that was the grounding point. it wouldnt work until i tightened it.
I'm clueless with cars. Where can I find it? I've never touched the horns and didn't even know where they are located until today! ;)

I made sure the wires to the horn (behind the grill) are connected and they are. I wonder if it's the relay but like I said, I swapped it w/ the one next to it. Nothing ... ugh

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
figured it out, wire from the horn to the steering wheel severed off.

There's a wire that goes from the right horn to the rest of the car. That wire cut off from the plug that goes into the horn.
It shares a connection w/ a wire running from the left horn. Ugh, what's this gonna cost to fix!

If i can somehow remove the wire from the housing, I think I can get it to work. I tried pulling the wire from the housing but it's tough.
I didn't want to break it. Is there a trick to doing it? If i can get the wires out, I can put re-connect the other half back into the housing.

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
I would take the horn out and try to get a wire crimp connector on there. Never took the horn apart before...but from what I understand that is what you need....enough wire to splice on to right. If all else fails....the horns are in parallel so you can temporarily run the wire that broke off to your other horn, get it inspected(and have 1 working horn for now), and then wire them both back up. Even if you have a half inch of wire sticking out of the non-working horn, that would be enough to butt-splice a connection. I'm now curious....can the horn shroud be disassembled? This should be any easy fix. Can you post a pic maybe?

At best...you may be able to pick up a new female plug for the horn at Toyota and resplice the wiring

·
Registered
281 Posts
Last post by the OP was 02-13-2010, 08:43 PM pretty sure he fixed it by now.

figured it out, wire from the horn to the steering wheel severed off.

There's a wire that goes from the right horn to the rest of the car. That wire cut off from the plug that goes into the horn.
It shares a connection w/ a wire running from the left horn. Ugh, what's this gonna cost to fix!

If i can somehow remove the wire from the housing, I think I can get it to work. I tried pulling the wire from the housing but it's tough.
I didn't want to break it. Is there a trick to doing it? If i can get the wires out, I can put re-connect the other half back into the housing.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
you can get the pin out of the plastic housing with a thin screw driver by pressing in the barb. I have not done this with this plug so I cant tell you which side to go in..

Alternately you go and get a new "used" plug with a few inches of wire from the wrecker and crimp it to the existing wires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.