Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Foreign Object Damage....there I was just cruising back from a b-day/over the 1000 mile mark party in the fast lane at75-80mph...in front of me about 100 yrds a painter's van with ladders & base board strapped on top. The guy cuts to the middle lane of the freeway and then back into the fast lane...I make a comment that TEG would probably edit ...let's just say it rhymes with "Rock Sucker" under my breath...then I see this chunk of base board bend and break free and fly off from the roof! The thing comes flying back toward my SBM IS300! "Holy $hit I just waxed my car!" I thought to myself. I cut hard to the right (already knowing nobody was next to me) two lanes and avoid the chunk of wood. The super cool thing was the car never even shuttered...it was like I was glued to the road. My daughter didn't even wake up the ride was so smooth.

The lesson here is that the IS300 has the ability to make those critical moves w/o losing its comfortable ride. After years of hard driving in crappy government cars as an Agent, I can tell you this was a relief...maybe even a exciting treat.

Agent Smith Out

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
heck, another lesson learned too: don't follow those vans, they'll ruin your beauitiful car
i hate cars that leave crap all over the road.....it could be a hazard

glad to hear you avoided it though. good driving

[This message has been edited by mrclam (edited October 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by BigJoeD:
...force field...
The Lexus Force Field Package (dealer code FF) is not going to be available until MY'02, and only on vehicles already equipped with Luxury Package and in-dash Orgasmatron.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've seen them happen on freeways. The worst was when a wheel from a car came loose, flew over the center divider and struck an oncoming car, killing a passenger. I've also seen a ladder from a truck come loose and hit a car behind it - literally jeri-curling the front fender and hood. Luckily, the driver wasn't hurt, but if the ladder was a few inches higher, it would have surely gone through the windshield.

My personal experience was when a wheel came loose from an Explorer. I was about 4-5 seconds behind it at night when I suddenly saw sparks -- and a large wheel and tire bounce just over my car. I didn't even see it until it was just over the windshield.

In my daily commute (over 100 miles) I see a lot of things happen and hava had my share of damages. It's too bad some of our tax money isn't too well spent on cleaning up debris littered on the highways...

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
Foreign Object Damage....there I was just cruising back from a b-day/over the 1000 mile mark party in the fast lane at75-80mph...in front of me about 100 yrds a painter's van with ladders & base board strapped on top. The guy cuts to the middle lane of the freeway and then back into the fast lane...I make a comment that TEG would probably edit ...let's just say it rhymes with "Rock Sucker" under my breath...then I see this chunk of base board bend and break free and fly off from the roof! The thing comes flying back toward my SBM IS300! "Holy $hit I just waxed my car!" I thought to myself. I cut hard to the right (already knowing nobody was next to me) two lanes and avoid the chunk of wood. The super cool thing was the car never even shuttered...it was like I was glued to the road. My daughter didn't even wake up the ride was so smooth.

The lesson here is that the IS300 has the ability to make those critical moves w/o losing its comfortable ride. After years of hard driving in crappy government cars as an Agent, I can tell you this was a relief...maybe even a exciting treat.

Agent Smith Out
i'll get you yet, smith

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bastardo! I figured this might have been an assassination attempt but thanks to the quick, nimble and elegant IS300 I have another day to fight with you.

Agent Smith Out

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by DtEW:
The Lexus Force Field Package (dealer code FF) is not going to be available until MY'02, and only on vehicles already equipped with Luxury Package and in-dash Orgasmatron.

By the time this package becomes available, there should be another option that goes hand-in-hand with the force field package: Engine upgrade to a warp core engine capable of doing warp 9.985!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
500 miles on mine a a car runs over a piece of carpet, yes carpet, stands it up and now I have a $700.00 tattoo on my front bumper!

·
Registered
511 Posts
My friend lost his '91 M5 to a truck tire. There was lots of traffic so he couldn't see it, changed lanes and drove over it. Flattened both tires on the right, destroyed the suspension and actually bent the frame. The roof had little creases in it. The car was in awesome shape before that. They totalled it out but someone bought it at auction and is resurrecting it. Thank God. There aren't too many left. Kudos for the M5 for basically staying on a straight line throughout the whole ugly process.

He just picked up a '93 M5 with a 380hp Dinan stroker and full suspension. The car was from L.A. and well...totally L.A. Chromed O.Z.'s, tinted windows, wood trim (including a custom wood steering wheel--ewh!!) and a license plate that said 450HPM5. He traded the wheels straight up for some '93 M5 wheels, removed the side window tint. I told him to loose the license plate quick--although he has had a few fun races because of it. He is also going to put a stock wheel in.

------------------
S38
91 M5

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
S38
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing