Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To keep with the latest trend (I know...maybe not enough data to make it a trend :lol: ) here in Go-Fast....more questions that folks would like to know, but never ask :wink:

Since there are more and more F/I kit owners every day, there will come a time when a tuner will come out with upgrades to the exisiting kits. How do the current owners make sure they have the latest and greatest version? Similar to why everyone wants the latest version of software/hardware for their home computer. It makes the car go faster and improves reliability.

- When a tuners kit has one or more components added, upgraded, redesigned and/or swithced...What would a fair policy be?

- When a tuners kit has a software (engine management) upgrade...What would a fair policy be?

EXAMPLE: I buy a kit and 6 months later the tuner redesigns the piping, manifold or FMIC design. It is a kick-azz component over my current version. As I am an owner of the original kit, I would expect to be able to purchase the new component. In a perfect world, I would want to be able to buy the new component and return my old core and receive a few dollars toward the new component.

**BTW - I don't expect a tuner to start mailing out their turbo manifold to any Joe who wants one. That is not the point of my questions.**

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
How much for the STAGE 2.5 UPGRADE, SHIFT KIT, AND EMANAGE.!!!!!!!

<<I want to know the answers also>>

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gavron1 said:
Hummmm I wondered that myself for quite some time now. I had been inquiring for 6 months or more until I finally got my answer last week. Not what I had expected.
Good or bad?

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
do tell?

gavront1 said:
Bad as far as I am concerned.

gavron1 said:
Hummmm I wondered that myself for quite some time now. I had been inquiring for 6 months or more until I finally got my answer last week. Not what I had expected.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
So was it basically buy the new parts at full price and you get to keep your old parts as trash, er I mean spares. Or sell your old kit to someone else and buy the new kit?

·
Registered
789 Posts
DL said:
So was it basically buy the new parts at full price and you get to keep your old parts as trash, er I mean spares. Or sell your old kit to someone else and buy the new kit?
Yeah that was what I took it as. I don't want to turn this into a complaint thread or a bash a tuner thread so I will just say that I was very dissapointed in the response I finally recieved on upgrading some of my old pieces to the new design.
I might as well just "sell my old kit add cash and buy the upgraded design" that was how it was presented to me in the response.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
gavron1 said:
DL said:
Yeah that was what I took it as. I don't want to turn this into a complaint thread or a bash a tuner thread so I will just say that I was very dissapointed in the response I finally recieved on upgrading some of my old pieces to the new design.
I might as well just "sell my old kit add cash and buy the upgraded design" that was how it was presented to me in the response.
That definitely blows.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
hmmm... that suuuuuuuuuuucks.

gavron you a cool dude and glad we talked at nopi, sucks that your getting shited on by srt , doesnt seem to be a first either. :(

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok...

So, it looks like there has been only 1 person who has crossed this bridge? There has to be others. Please share...

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
IS3FINALLYmd said:

gavron you a cool dude and glad we talked at nopi, sucks that your getting shited on by srt , doesnt seem to be a first either. :(
Man...customers are just so hard to satisfy. Do you guys even understand what you are asking?!

"I am going to bitch and cry at Nvidia because the damn top of the line graphics card I just bought 1 month ago is now obsolete. I DESERVE an upgrade to the new GeForce 99xx for FREE!"

You bought a product....not a maintanence and update agreement.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TeCKis300 said:
IS3FINALLYmd said:

Man...customers are just so hard to satisfy. Do you guys even understand what you are asking?!

"I am going to bitch and cry at Nvidia because the damn top of the line graphics card I just bought 1 month ago is now obsolete. I DESERVE an upgrade to the new GeForce 99xx for FREE!"

I understand what I'm asking.
A video card is not a large investment, like a $7k+ F/I kit is for most folks. And...I bet you can get some free software upgrades for it. Hell, you might even be able to upgrade the memory built onto it...for a reasonable price...since you are already a loyal customer...and they want to keep you. There is a reason your local computer shop does not offer the same customer service you receive at the car dealer. A larger investment usually earns better cutomer services.

Who said anything about FREE parts or upgrades? All I am asking about is a fair and reasonable upgrade path. Plan and simple. Not too much to ask of a shop that will make a few more bucks off of you for upgrading that part. Why the heck would a customer want to sell the entire kit, when all that is neded is a simple cost effective upgrade part? Should the day come where you can no longer keep adding upgrades, then I'm willing to bet the customer will feel comfortable buying the tuners latest kit (assuming they want to keep on top of the technology. This would not apply to you folks who are still using your old Pentium 100 computer :lol: ).

That's what I call reasonable...

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
redline814...

I owe you an apology for jumping the gun with my comments without knowing the whole story. A little birdie has enlightened me.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TeCKis300 said:
redline814...

I owe you an apology for jumping the gun with my comments without knowing the whole story. A little birdie has enlightened me.
No problem. It's cool.

There is no story...on my part. I was just asking this because I'm curious...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
TeCKis300 said:
IS3FINALLYmd said:

thank you redline for saying exactly what I wanted to say.
When he bought the kit I'm sure he had the knowledge that it was upgradable and now its NOT!
you dont go an buy a 6k kit then be told, sure we can get ya a stage 3 jus find someone to buy your old one first, good luck!
All I was stating was I would be soooo :pissed: and frustrated as a consumer b/c their original prduct failed.
Not tuner bashing jus lookin at this from his point of view as an "unhappy" customer.

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
Also keep in mind that a graphics card can't be broken down into smaller individual components which can be upgraded independantly, like a turbo kit.

I understand why a tuner would not want to have a stockpile of older parts that no one wanted, so it's a matter of intelligent upgrading and staging on their part. Have a stage 1 that has piping A, and stage 1.1 with more efficient piping, but that is also more expensive.

And of course, if their design is causing damage to the engine, the tuner should always swap it out for free. They should have fixed that design first before they rushed a kit out the door... if they started selling before they were ready just to get in market first, etc... that's a risk they took and a price they have to pay.

The answer:
If I were a tuner I'd sell a seperate maintenance/upgrade/support contract... just like software or computers. It costs maybe 1k more (or some percentage of the price) and you don't have to buy it when you get your kit... but if you do then you get the right to return cores and buy all future upgrades @ some percentage discount.

For tuners, they gain float and breakage on the upgrade contracts (extra money now and some people will never buy the upgrades). Maybe the tuners could use some of that float to solve their resource/supply chain problems and shortfalls? In addition, it's an additional selling point for the kit to increase the number of sales/likelihood to close a single sale (would you buy a new dell computer if you couldn't buy a warranty?).

For customers, they have the option to solve their upgrade/core woes and will be much happier.

Only bad thing is the tuner would have to honor the upgrade contracts they're selling, so they have to make sure they're financially protected (don't make it such a good deal that you lose your pants when upgrades come out). Also, it does place some burden on them to keep improving their kits (not that that would be a problem given the highly competitive nature of the business... but if you sell an upgrade contract and then don't ever upgrade your kit some people might not be too happy.

TeCKis300 said:
IS3FINALLYmd said:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts