Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note:If you dont like extra wide wheels and stretch tires click back now!

Alright guys I bought my is300 about 2 months ago and im ready to order some wheels now.First of all no im not a complete noob to cars.Im just new to the is300 in general.But it shares similarities in high offsets with my s2000.

Ok here goes..

Im not really gonna ask if this set will fit.Im gonna make it fit.Plus Anna already pulled off the same widths with 1mm more of poke action.Im more worried about the tire choice.I will most likely do:
18x9 +26
18x10 +26

225-40-18
245-40-18

Im shaving my fenders myself so im not worried about rolling them.I prefer this method over rolling wayyy more.Im also willing to push them out some if necessary.

One of my questions for the wide wheel peeps is are you using any different A-arms or anything like that?

Next question is you cant roll wide wheels and be 4x4 so what coilovers are you on? I plan on being dropped no less than 2" so I need to know what is slam proven on is300.I have tein flex on my s2000 and im pretty happy.But I dont mind using a sleeve setup.

Here goes my current aggressive setup.Yeah i know I need a little more camber:

That is all for now,im all ears :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
245/20?

Do they even make that?

If so...

No good.

235/40 or 235/35

Will look really goofy with 40 series front and 20 series rear.

If you never want to pull your fenders, shaving is fine.

If you think you might ever want to pull them, rolling them is the only option.

For those offsets stock A arms will be fine because you'll need to run 2-3* negative camber.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm running stock arms. With the offsets you plan on running I would suggest shaving vs rolling and pulling is a def must do. You'll have some nice poking action going on also. Depending on how much you pull, you may still rub on bumps. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would stay away from Falken 452's if you want the best stretch. I had those on my Eurolines and to be honest, they looked like truck tires. I had my stock arms back then and after getting an alignment done, the camber that the stock arms gave me was nowhere near enough. My front fenders were getting banged out when I was driving and I would not recommend driving like that. Do 225/235 and you'll be good with the right amount of camber.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why does everyone on here shave fenders?!

That shit is horrible.

Rolling is the proper way to do it.

Yes it takes more skill and time but the results are way better.

I have a buddy who shaves fenders for his customers at his shop and its no good. He does a good job but the whole idea is no good.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like shaving -unless- you wanna roll the fender super flat which isnt exactly easy.If you do it right,you shouldnt have any jagged edges or anything like that.To be safe you can smooth it out with a little bondo o something similar.Just paint it afterwards.

For tires,I like how Dunlops stretch.Good thing I have a buddy at Discount tire that knows what hes doing.

For slam purposes ima stay with Tein type flex since they are nice on my other car.If anyone is slammed on the super street lemme know.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My fenders are rolled flat with no waviness. MrMark and I rolled mine in an afternoon and it was quite easy. Just have to be patient. Shaving can be done without distorting the fender. Alight of GS owners do it with no problem so long as someone that knows what they're doing does the shaving.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Sounds like everything has been covered in here... The 245 in the rear will probably take a good pull to fit, but it shouldn't be too much work.

I'm running stock arms, no issues as of now. You may want camber arms up front to tuck the wheels in more if you're going real low.

As for coilovers, I'm on Stance coilovers, and my coilovers will go a lot lower than their current ride height, and they're cheap.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was also wondering why everyone seems to love shaving their fenders as opposed to to rolling(at least on lexus fenders)?

I've always rolled and pulled but have never shaved and I'm wondering if there is an advantage to shaving toyota fenders?

·
Registered
167 Posts
There are no advantages other than somebody who doesn't have the tools or knowhow to roll their fenders can still get some more clearance.

Toyota uses pretty thick metal for some of their fenders which scares some people but as I've said before, if you take your time it can be done and turns out great. Look at Apex's fenders for a perfect example.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I was also wondering why everyone seems to love shaving their fenders as opposed to to rolling(at least on lexus fenders)?

I've always rolled and pulled but have never shaved and I'm wondering if there is an advantage to shaving toyota fenders?
If you shave you avoid the possibility of the paint cracking where its bent.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Yes, but then you also get exposed metal where you make the cut. In addition, if you rub on cut fenders you run the risk of cutting up or puncturing your tires.

·
1,621 Posts
Yes, but then you also get exposed metal where you make the cut. In addition, if you rub on cut fenders you run the risk of cutting up or puncturing your tires.
As long as you use a file and sandpaper after the shaving you will be okay. I am able to run my fingers along the inner edge of my fenders and its very smooth.

After that I just primed and painted. Looks perfect!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hmm I dont think I have ever had any paint crack on my previous fenders, but then again nissan fenders are a bit thinner than toyota's thick fenders like Slater said.
I think I'll just stick with rolling these fenders since I have done it numerous times, shaving almost seems like it more work

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Shaving is done more often because it is easy, quick, and WORKS.

I have shaved fenders on my IS300s for 4 years with no ill effects. Aggressive shaving no less.

Easy. Period.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts